Gas control valve problem?

Old 10-12-09, 10:49 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas control valve problem?

Can anyone help. My peerless gas furnace started out with a failed transformer. After replacing the L8148E aquastat, the relay for the pump chatters alot. I shut it down and have chacked all components in the loop. I have a pilot and I have 24 V to the gas valve and the system runs OK with the gas control disconnected for the aquastat but as soon as I hook up the gas control vale, the relay chaters and the transformer is in overload. How do I tell if the gas control valve is bad (model V8200A)

Old 10-12-09, 05:20 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You probably should post this in the forum, just above this one, for boilers.

You say the transformer failed so then you replaced the aquastat. You jumped from one thing to the next. Did you also replace the transformer? The relay chattering sounds like it's coil maybe got fried and it can't hold closed the relay, so it bounces from open to closed to open to closed. Or some of the 24 volt current is being bled to ground(a short) before passing through the entire relay first.

A wiring diagram, if you can find it on the boiler and post it here, may help the pros and the curious, over at boilers forum.

Old 10-13-09, 02:43 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You are right. The gas control valve was failing. The only reason that I repaced the aquastat was to get the new transformer ( it was actually a neighbor's old one from a boiler changeout). The gas valve had no resistance at all and was shorting the cicuit. The new valve is working great.

Old 10-13-09, 05:51 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Happy you got it fixed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: