beckett burner trips every other day

Old 10-14-09, 05:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
beckett burner trips every other day

Soon as temps dropped around here my 20 year old beckett oil
burner needs a reset every other day. Once reset it runs normally. Any kind of intermittent issue which may cause this to happen.
Note:
field controls power venter
Hunter Thermostat
Hot water baseboard heating

Last edited by psk1087; 10-14-09 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Added detail
Old 10-14-09, 05:49 PM
P
Originally Posted by psk1087
Soon as temps dropped around here my 20 year beckett needs
a reset every other day. Once reset it runs normally. Any kind of intermittent issue which may cause this to happen.
There's a multitude of things that can cause reoccurring lockouts. When was the last time it was cleaned and set up by a knowledgeable tech? Common things are bad nozzle, plugged fuel filter/strainer improper air adjustment..

Old 10-14-09, 06:00 PM
This past summer, fuel filter, nozzle, ignitors, air adjustment.
Ran good until this past weekend, when I found the Thermostat calling but the reset was out on the blower motor of the beckett. reset and off it went until 2 days later.

Old 10-14-09, 06:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Has to Reset

As pfd27 said, the list of causes for this is extensive. If an experienced tech resets the burner & observes the flame it can often tell him/her if the problem is in the ignition system or elsewhere. Call your service company & let them know what's going on. It will be a big help to the tech if you can wait until the servicer gets there & resets the burner. Trying to fix a burner which seems to be running properly is tough at best.

Old 10-14-09, 08:58 PM
P
When you reset the burner, do you notice a puff of smoke or smell raw fuel or does the flame come on smooth with no noise?

Reoccurring lockouts can make us techs pull our hair out sometimes

Last edited by pfd27; 10-14-09 at 09:00 PM. Reason: adding more
Old 10-15-09, 04:57 PM
It comes on right away with out a hint of fuel or abnormal noise. It hasn't tripped for 2 days now. After I reset it last
I watched it for a couple of cycles ,of course to no avail.
That is why I ask first before I pay a Tech a $100 plus to
stand there with me and watch it do nothing wrong.
It is kinda like a intermittent electrical on your car that never
presents itself at the shop.
Does that switch protect the blower motor on the burner
from overdrawing current?

Old 10-15-09, 05:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Switch

If you mean the reset button on the control box, no. It is a flame safety switch. If you mean the small red button on the motor itself, yes.

Old 10-16-09, 08:33 AM
Thanks Grady, that is exactly the switch, on the blower
motor. Always good to be informed prior to making a decision.

Old 10-16-09, 12:14 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Does the flame come on first, then trip out? And does this have one of those cad cells?

Or simply does it not come on at all, when a call of heat, sometimes? The answer to this question could eliminate certain things, like poor combustion or drafting, and concentrate instead on electrical relays and such.

I had an oil to gas conversion prehistoric boiler that gave me fits. The furnace guy wasn't sure and had me monitor it. Over the course of a long time and a long time mapping out the system and voltmeter testing, I honed in on a piggy back thermodisc time-relay that was the cause of an entire winter of real sporadic go and no go! This relay would allow the combustion air to first purge prior to fresh fuel combustion. This now-gas conversion boiler had the same type controls that the oil unit basically had, including the Honeywell control box with reset button. I felt real proud of myself when I (finally caught and) found the problem without spending any money on the wrong part. Only cost me $11 for the part! The furnace guy was thinking about putting in a new control, and seei what happens. Well, that relay was not even on that control. It was mounted in a separate box that supplied power to the combustion air blower motor, and then activated the gas valve to open.

Old 10-16-09, 03:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Motor Reset

This button is small, red, square, & on the motor itself? If so, you either have a bad motor (probably) or pump.

Old 10-20-09, 07:48 AM
Is the reset button on the relay on the smoke pipe ?or on a small box on the burner ? if it is on the smoke pipe let us know will post latter. if it is on the burner or mounted to the boiler chech the wires that go to f-f are they loose ? if not sounds like you might have a bad or dirty eye and or wire harness going to f-f
William

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: