Carrier 58MCA water drip

Old 10-15-09, 11:47 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier 58MCA water drip

Hi all,

Please forgive me for anything "dumb" I'm about to ask/say....

I just purchased a home built in 2004 with a Carrier 58MCA-100 furnace. There is evidence of a long-term issue with water dripping from what I think is called the inducer. There is a rusty spot directly below the inducer and in the very bottom of the furnace, below the fan.

As I look at the furnace, the exhaust fan is enclosed in a black housing (I think this is the inducer), with a rubber tube in the bottom left corner. This tube runs into a condensation trap. I removed the trap today and ran water through it, thinking that it was plugged. There was a lot of black crud come out and it eventually turned clean. I reinstalled it and the drip is still there.

I'm hesitant to take the face of off the "inducer" to see if there is a blockage keeping the water from reaching the drain. Is it safe to remove this? Any other suggestions?

Old 10-15-09, 04:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have mold and crud in the presswure switch tubing, you should remove the inducer mand inspect the heat exchanger you can view through that opening for similar crud to clean out.

If you are lucky, that might solve the problem. If you aren't you may need to buy a replacement gasket to install when you replaqce the inducer motor. A nuisance but probably not a big expense.

Old 10-20-09, 09:07 AM
B
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer View Post
If you have mold and crud in the presswure switch tubing, you should remove the inducer mand inspect the heat exchanger you can view through that opening for similar crud to clean out.

If you are lucky, that might solve the problem. If you aren't you may need to buy a replacement gasket to install when you replaqce the inducer motor. A nuisance but probably not a big expense.
Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't have thought about a new gasket prior to taking it apart. I'll get that before doing anything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: