Luxaire Forced-Air Gas Rail (Unsure)

Old 10-16-09, 02:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Luxaire Forced-Air Gas Rail (Unsure)

Seatings and Growlutations. My dad died this July; he ran the house and I was happily ignorant. Time to grow up... I read through threads for an hour and didn't come across what I'm looking for, so please be gentle with my clueless. Suddenly becoming the man of the house is SCARY. The furnace has a rail that sits just above the 4 burners, and has a notch out of the bottom of it right over each one. There are scorch patterns where the flames have curled out these notches and up the back of the rail. Is this flame-curling normal? Is that enough info to form opinions? Would pics of the flames coming out the notches help?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-09, 06:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hard to say from your description. Try posting a picture.

Old 10-16-09, 12:54 PM
Here's a couple furnace pics on Photobucket.

The close-up shows the scorch patterns at the notches.

We had a nice gentleman from Duke Energy come out and test for gas leaks, and I told him my concerns about the rail. He wasn't concerned about the flameroll, and said he's not a furnace expert, but that everything seemed fine.

I didn't get a pic of the flames yet.

Old 10-16-09, 01:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You said it curls out the back of the rail? Or do you mean the front of the rail, where the scortching is appearing out in front?

It seems to me that downward facing gas holes would have a propensity to try to curl flames back up. But if the flame is seeking it's way out to the front of the furnace, I'd question if you have negative pressure in the hous from say running various exhausting devices in the house, like a nearby gas water heater, dryer vent, fireplace, bathroom vent(s), cooking vent, or even window left open on downward side of wind.

I could ask you if you ever sat and watched the burner flames, but that would not really matter as much as the answers to the questions I just asked, because otherwise, you would have to catch it at that right time. Who knows if that scorching goes on all the time, or just sometimes under the right (negative air pressure?) conditions.

It might also be possible that the reason flame even exists there is the speed is not sufficient in the fuel rail due to say spider webs in it.

Old 10-16-09, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
You said it curls out the back of the rail? Or do you mean the front of the rail, where the scortching is appearing out in front?
D'oh. The front as you define it. I kinda looked at it as the burners being the business end, so the end you see is the back of the business end. Heh.

It seems to me that downward facing gas holes would have a propensity to try to curl flames back up. But if the flame is seeking it's way out to the front of the furnace, I'd question if you have negative pressure in the hous from say running various exhausting devices in the house, like a nearby gas water heater, dryer vent, fireplace, bathroom vent(s), cooking vent, or even window left open on downward side of wind.
That's logical. I just didn't want to err on the side of disaster. Negative pressure is probably not the case. We don't even have a fireplace or a cooking vent, and the gas water heater, dryer, and bathroom vent were off. I would say we didn't have any windows open, but the age of our windows, and the lack of drapes over them, is almost as bad.

Who knows if that scorching goes on all the time, or just sometimes under the right (negative air pressure?) conditions.
Exaaaaaaaaactly my thinking.

It might also be possible that the reason flame even exists there is the speed is not sufficient in the fuel rail due to say spider webs in it.
This IS one thing I picked up on from reading other threads. I only briefly glanced at the inside of the rail when I had it out to clean the one burner off, but I didn't see any major obstruction. There MIGHT have been a single spider web, but I don't think so.

Another thing I noticed is that a little flame curls out EACH END of the rail. That HAS to be by design, so obviously the rail can take that kind of heat.