Smell from oil burner

Old 10-16-09, 06:55 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smell from oil burner

I had a smell coming from my oil burner when I started it up this year. The smell was only in the basement, not in the house, but it is strong in the basement. I thought it was exhaust leaking back into the house so I sprayed fire rated foam around where the exhaust pipe leaves and I taped the exhaust pipe joints with foil tape. I still had the smell so I called and had a service guy out. We started the burner up and the smell started after about 5 min. Ther service guy said it was the glue from the tape burning off and that it was ok and would be gone within a few days.

I was wondering if this sounds right to any guys out there who know about oil burners. My wife is pregnant and I dont want anything harmful around her. I do have carbon monoxide detectors and they have NOT alarmed.

Old 10-16-09, 07:08 PM
P
What kind of smell is it? Raw oil or exhaust gases, electrical?

Old 10-16-09, 08:37 PM
J
Its hard to describe...

Its not raw oil. I originally thought it was exhaust, but like I said, the tech said it wasn't, he said it was the glue burning off of the tape...

Just wondering if anyone has heard/seen of this before...the tech seemed to notice the smell right away, but didnt really look at the burner...

Old 10-16-09, 09:02 PM
P
Originally Posted by jmat1980
Its hard to describe...

Its not raw oil. I originally thought it was exhaust, but like I said, the tech said it wasn't, he said it was the glue burning off of the tape...

Just wondering if anyone has heard/seen of this before...the tech seemed to notice the smell right away, but didnt really look at the burner...
"I taped the exhaust pipe joints with foil tape. I still had the smell so I called and had a service guy out. We started the burner up and the smell started after about 5 min."

You said the smell was there before you taped the pipes right?

Sometimes you can get a smell from the tape, but if it was there before any tape was used...

Did you have the ducts cleaned this summer? I found a GI Joe doll on top of a heat exchanger after a duct cleaning once

Old 10-17-09, 04:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Smell

Presuming this to be a warm air furnace, does the smell start shortly after the fan comes on? If so, it's possible the heat exchanger is cracked, there is not enough return duct & the fan is pulling a negative pressure & pulling exhaust back thru the stack. These problems can be diagnosed with a good draft gauge.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: