Furnace won't turn on

Old 10-20-09, 08:13 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace won't turn on

I blew a fuse in the kitchen. Went to the fuse box to flip the switches; none of them were labeled. So, I had to use trial and error to find the correct one. I must have flipped the switch for the furnace, because now it won't turn on. I flipped all the switches in the fuse box off and on, but no luck, it still won't start. My furnace was working fine before all this happened.

As you can probably tell I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to home repair. Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Old 10-20-09, 09:01 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
4.Turn all the breakers all the way off, then back on, and then see.

Is everything else in the house working. Try to makes sure. Check various outlets and lights.

5. Also, as odd as this would be, make sure that any GFCI breaker in the kitchen, bathrooms, garage, basement, and outside are not tripped. There are two little buttons in the center of each one. Press in "reset".

Also if you have an electric stove, turn on the burner to high, and see if it glows red. If yes, you at least have full voltage to the house.

1. See if for some reason your thermostat lost it's programming, and "override" it to run.

2. See if you get furnace response by turning the thermostat to the fan ON setting, rather than fan AUTO setting.

Go to furnace and open up the big cover only, and listen for any sort of faint hum as that could mean you are at least getting power to the furnace, as you should, at the transformer.

3. If you have a combo furnace switch and outlet at the side of the furnace, plug something in that outlet, to see if that works.

Check the open motherboard, (if power to the furnace has been at least confirmed by some of the other suggestions), (solid state looking board with all those soldered thingies on it) and see if there is a fuse on that board, in case furnace was running at time of kitchen short, adn blew the fuse.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: