Beckett blast Tube

Old 10-23-09, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Beckett blast Tube

ok, I have a question about this item. My oil company just did their annual service on my Beckett oil furnace (with oil burner) and replaced the Beckett Blast Tube and the f3 End Cone without authorization and did not bring the issue, if there was one, to my attention. Now, before I call them and raise hell, I would like to know what the importance of this tube is and how long does it usually last? My furnace was installed in 1989 and has been serviced faithfully every year. I have had the house for 5 years now and this item has not been replaced in that time. I am a woman and lack the knowledge of an oil furnace, but I also don't want to be taken advantage of either or have some BS story given to me. The blast tube was $47 and the end cone was $14. If this is a part that needs replaced every 5 years or so then it would make sense, but what makes it go bad? Thanks to anyone who can help me

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-09, 09:34 PM
Blast tube and end cone

Hi

Without seeing the old parts I can't say they if they needed to be replaced, but my guess is that they would have been the original parts from 1989. The blast tube is the part of the burner that goes into the combustion chamber and the end cone is what swirls the air and keeps the flame nice and compact.
They do go bad from the constant heat cool cycles.
The price they charged sounds very reasonable to me.

Old 10-24-09, 05:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Air Tube & end cone

My guess is the end of the air tube (including the end cone) was burned off. If this was the case, it is often an indication of a bad heat exchanger. I would call the oil company & ask to speak to the tech. End cones crack from time to time but to have to replace the entire air tube is rare.

Old 11-04-09, 10:38 AM
Beckett blast Tube

Hope you don't mind if I chime in..Some of the answers I am seeing to this question clearly shows me that many that answer have only basic knowledge when it comes to oil furnace repair. I am a oil furnace repairman and have been for over 27+ years. Beckett burners are known for this problem.. I usually find 5 or 6 furnaces with Beckett burners per heating season with this very same problem..Not as common of problem with Wanye or other brand of burners but it does happen.. The problem can be spotted very easy when you have the burner all apart for service and cleaning because the flame retention cone is laying in the bottom of the combustion chamber and the furnace runs like crap if at all.. (Did you call the furnace company for scheduled maintainance or did you notice a problem?) The prices they charged you are very reasonable..It sounds to me the tech that worked on your furnace knew what he was doing because this problem usually goes unnoticed by alot of service techs. Most techs don't even know what a blast tube or flame retention cone is. Instead of calling the company and COMPLAINING you should be calling this company and THANKING them for doing a COMPLETE an THOROUGH JOB.. Had the service tech not fixed this NOW you would have been calling in the middle of winter probably on the coldest day on a weekend$$ or holiday$$ with NO HEAT..Then you would have a bigger bill because you would have to pay for another service call + parts+ more labor to probably un-clogg the flues. minimum or possible worst case it could have ruined the furnace.. Please keep in mind furnaces have a 20year Designed life expectancy. I wish automobiles were that good

Old 11-04-09, 08:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can someone bring up an exploded drawing (or sketch it) on one of these units? Then everyone reading this thread could follow it more.

Floyd,

Hopefully you just did not drop a bomb and leave.....but......what was said in post 2 and 3 that strikes you they don't know oil furnaces(like you do)?

And how can one know that most techs would not know what a blast tube or end cone is? How do you know what other techs work on or discover? Just curious.

Old 11-05-09, 04:40 AM
Black part is blast tube.

Silver part on end in end cone

Old 11-05-09, 04:47 PM
Beckett Blast tube

TO ecman51`THIS IS A KNOWN COMMON PROBLEM WITH BECKETT BURNERS..
There should be no discussion on what it could or could not be....A oilman would know this.. .I have other reasons but this is the main one..

When you asked... "How do you know what other techs work on or discover? Just curious."

Well couple of reasons. Reason#1 First off in the 2 year course for HVAC Tech that is held at the local tech college they devote 1 day maybe 2 days max to oil furnace repair..Only 1 or 2 days max out of a 2 year course..So because of this I firmly believe the newest graduating class don't really have a real good understanding of oil furnaces.. What is currently being taught in oil repair is if a customer has a oil furnace, don't try to repair it. Sell them a gas furnace instead.

Reason#2 Believe it or not we Techs do communicate with each other. Yes not just service techs from the same company, but we talk to other companies too..Usually we talk about deadbeat customers, which ones don't pay or which ones are cronic complainers but we do talk furnaces also..When we techs get together we always seem to "pick each others brains" and its ALWAYS about furnace repair..
In other areas maybe its different or maybe its the same who knows..But aside for having to explain my words I still wholeheartedly believe that the service tech that worked on AKWIFE furnace is not scamming her or trying to take advantage of her...And actually did the right thing by not just ignoring this problem and actually fixing it. After all ain't that why he was there in the first place.

Last edited by floydturbo; 11-05-09 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-05-09, 05:54 PM
Hi there

Glad to have another tech on board.

When I read "The blast tube is the part of the burner that goes into the combustion chamber"

This is wrong..The blast tube should never extend into the combustion chamber.. It should be flush with it. A person that works on oil would know that.
Sometimes you have to simplify things for a homeowner that doesn't know if the blast tube should be flush, 1/4" back or whatever the manufacturer requests.
As a 10 year Oil Tech I DO know that the blast tube doesn't go into the combustion chamber. Sometimes a simple question requires a simple answer that a non tech can understand.

It was also stated "If this was the case, it is often an indication of a bad heat exchanger"

If this was the case the furnace would soot up or lock out before way before it could ever cause the blast tube to rot. someone that works on oil alot would automatically know that..

And last but not least...THIS IS A KNOW COMMON PROBLEM WITH BECKETT.. If you really work on them you know this
I'm sure the tech that wrote this has reason to to write it as
he probably has as much or more years that you say you do.
He may have worked on coal furnaces!! Sorry Grady

First off in the 2 year course for HVAC Tech that is held at the local tech college they devote 1 day maybe 2 days max to oil furnace repair..Only 1 or 2 days max out of a 2 year course..
Glad I don't have an oil furnace there. Up north it's 2 full days a week for 10 months.

What is currently being taught in oil repair is if a customer has a oil furnace, don't try to repair it. Sell them a gas furnace instead.
Sad

I still wholeheartedly believe that the service tech that worked on AKWIFE furnace is not scamming her or trying to take advantage of her
Didn't look like anyone said she was getting scammed.

Ciao for now.

Old 11-05-09, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the pic, BTW.

I wanted to second the opinion about where in relation to the combustion chamber it is. Yes, the moderator has years of experience and has to talk to the novice/possible DIY'er in a simple way they can understand. Some of his posts get quite techy, indicating his knowledge.

Regarding the issue about techs trying to sell customers a gas furnace instead: Welllll? Look at all the stuff that needs servicing on an oil burner, to keep the house clean and the flue clean, and plain keep it running. There are lots of parts that can and I believe often do fail. And or even stymie the tech. Couple this with the fact that even though oil produces 40% more btus comparing therms to gallons - that oil, at least around here - has taken some nasty spikes in the last few years. It was pushing $4 a gallon, when we were paying the same at the gas pumps. But my NG never was higher than I believe $1.30! So the oil cost 3 X more, while the btu's are only 40% more - not 300% more.

My NG is currently about 66 a therm! And, I have heard they expect it to be like 12% less than last year. What is oil? And what might that be this winter?

Now consider this: I do occassional work for this one landlord(not the one I normally work for) that has lots of NG furnaces. 80's vintage. Hardly any problems with them. Go to change filter and inspect the flame and see if blower needs oiling. Nice clean blue flames. I know he has not had any licensed furnace guy come to do any cleaning or servicing. But they just keep running and running. Now if one does occassionally malfunction, he sends me to diagnose it and clean a flame sensor or replace a bad HSI or something relatively cheap and easy to do. No expensive labor. Even if I have to change out a blower motor, or ignition control or fan blade kit on an inducer, or whatever. None of these things hardly takes more than an hour and I am done, and fixed the first time. No fine tuning this and that......no $1000 bill like I know one guy got on his oil burner, for basic diagnosis and repairs.

Old 11-11-09, 03:04 PM
Gas furnaces do break and often. Try to get a gas furnace serviced when the gas company tells you it will be three weeks or more. Most oil companies will be at your house in an hour or two. All heating equipment needs to be checked every year by a professional.

Old 11-11-09, 05:00 PM
Yes they do. And I enjoy the jobs. But they usually go from running perfect, with a good blue flame, to plain not working at all. Can't often say the same for oil. Oil can get rather scary, and messy, when things start misbehaving. And I think gas furnaces are more DIY friendly. There is more technical stuff with oil. All you have to do is read some of Grady's posts, and you can see that.

Old 11-11-09, 05:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Gas vs Oil

I don't want this thread to degrade into a "which is better" argument. Both have their advantages & disadvantages.
Modern equipment of both types can be a bear to troubleshoot & expensive to repair. If it makes heat, I work on it but prefer oil probably because that is where I have the most experience.

Old 02-11-12, 09:39 PM
Purchasing a spare burner

Trying to work myself up to being capable of servicing/maintaining my own Beckett AF oil burner for my Miller CMF-80 furnace. Have a spare furnace with the skeleton of a Wayne burner on it ... no pump or motor. Im building a garage and think that might be a good unit for it. Bought some literature from Beckwithheating .com to read on basic servicing. I see that blast tubes vary in length for different applications and would assume the critical adjustments necessary when modifying/interchanging? them as well as parts are something Id rather not have to deal with right off.Is there some code numbers or nomenclature somewhere on the unit that would tell me whether it will work without changing those things for my particular app. There is a 3 " blast tube on my Wayne skeleton for my spare miller with the the same basic furnaces dimensions as my running house Miller. My house Miller keeps shutting off now intermittently after running for hours, when I reset it makes a "locked up" kinda sound until I tap the motor 2 or 3 times ... then it runs again for hours. Coupling ?? Want to get a spare to put in so I can clean/repair this one.

Old 02-11-12, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by floydturbo View Post
TO[B] What is currently being taught in oil repair is if a customer has a oil furnace, don't try to repair it. Sell them a gas furnace instead.

This seems like a sound principle to me....

Old 02-12-12, 08:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Keithnh,
The sound you describe is most likely caused either by a bad start switch in the motor or a problem with the primary control. If you hit the motor & the burner starts, I'm betting on the start switch. It's a shame you don't have a motor on the Wayne since only the motor & pump are interchangeable between the two burners. You need a motor for the Wayne anyway so get one to put on the Beckett & if it turns out the motor is not the problem you can put it on the Wayne. Here's one which will fit:
Patriot Supply - 21805U