NEED blue print for One OLD chimney with 2 flues

Old 10-27-09, 07:48 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HELP..One OLD chimney with 2 flues leaking exhaust in wrong flue!

My son bought a house this summer with 1 chimney and 2 flues. (fireplace and a boiler system). We just purchased a wood stove and stainless steal liner and were having it installed. I yelled up to the men installing it and told them to make sure they put the liner in the right flue. They yelled back that there was only one open the other one is filled tight with cement. We went down in the basement and the boiler is piped into the rear flue of the chimney ( the one sealed off) We turned on the furnace to check it out and it runs smooth, but the exhause is venting around the out side of the liner in the fireplace flue. Called a heating company... they thought I was crazy.. so they came out and climbed the peaked metal roof and was dumb founded... I called our EXPENSIVE home inspecter and asked why he didn't notice this or tell us this.. he started to do some double talking " you know the house needed work...my computer is down so I can't look up the inspection papers... will call you back in 24hrs"... that was 30 hrs ago. I need to know, how did they construct a chimney with 2 flues in the 50's...and where if at all they could connect together... the chimney goes from the basement up through 2 floors a total of around 28foot. Please help... don't want a death from carbon monoxide:

Last edited by redford95; 10-27-09 at 08:22 PM. Reason: titled it wrong
Old 10-27-09, 11:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Two flues should mean two flues, one each for the boiler and fireplace.

But I can't comment on what you might have. That needs to be determined by a careful inspection.

If there's doubt, I'd leave the equipment off until that doubt has been resolved.

Old 10-28-09, 07:05 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That's what I paid 650.00 for a professional home inspection. In the inspecion he said the fire place flue was deteriated by viewing it from the ground... He did look up the fire place and said it was operational.. tile was in good shape PLUS 18" thick stone walls... BUT....The good boiler flue he saw WAS NOT a boiler flue it was the fireplace flue... the boiler flue is cut flat to the chimney top and filled with stone and cement... but the boiler works... with no black soot etc...we found it was escaping out the fireplace flue.. I was wondering if possily an old time chimney builder would know IF back in the 50's possibly they commonly designed a universal JOINT to connect them somewhere incase of an emergency or something..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: