Excessive sparking and Gas cut-off

Old 11-04-09, 02:45 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Excessive sparking and Gas cut-off

Hello, I have a Carrier heater model 58GS100-1 that has been causing me some headaches as of late. I noticed at the end of last winter (could have been going on longer) that my heater was having issues lighting and actually heating the house. My ignition will kick in and light the pilot pretty quickly, but then it will just keep sparking for 5-10 minutes even after the main burners kick in. They will continue to burn while the ignition sparks and generally, the gas line will cut off and the blower will never even come on.

From what everyone has been telling me, my flame sensor just needs to be cleaned. Unfortunately, the description everyone's given me for that is a rod of some sort that sticks into the pilot flame, and there's nothing of the sort in my pilot light. The only thing I could think was the flat piece of metal that the flame runs along (you can see it partially sanded off):

Sanding that seemed to help a little bit for a few days, but it's right back to it's old tricks. The problem seems to occur only when the heat needs to raise the temp by one or two degrees; if I kill it for half a day and then turn it on around 5 degrees under the desired temp, it runs flawlessly (though still sparking a little too long). Any ideas? I have pictures of my technical schematics, PCB board, and ignition controls. Please help as I feel this pointless burning is murdering my gas bill!!

Old 11-04-09, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That requires a complete pilot assembly replacement as all r tied in 2gether...................................................... sandind helps once ina while......................................

Old 11-04-09, 06:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You have a Carrier three wire pilot ignition system. These have a variety of tricks they can play when the pilot orifice hasn't been removed and cleaned for a year or longer.

Very likely if you remove the brass ferrule that holds the pilot tubing in place and remove and clean the pilot orifice (a wire from a wire brush is good for that) and also clean the pilot burner, the furnace will work fine when you reassemble and reinstall the pilot assembly.

There is no separate sensor with this ignition system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: