Amana AMV9090 vs Carrier 58MVC100

Old 11-05-09, 05:42 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Amana AMV9090 vs Carrier 58MVC100

I live in Wisconsin outside of Milwaukee, and am looking to replace my furnace while the rebates are going on. My house and furnace are 20 years old and looking to repace with either the Amana AMV9090 or the Carrier 58MVC100. Both compaines that have quoted are reputable but my question is which unit would be the better choice. Price wise they are very comparable but one company has thrown in an extra filter and a Carrier ifiniti thermostat that looks better then the Aprilaire 8466. The other question I have is the size of the furnace. My original furnace is 125,000 btu and each company asked me the size of my house and one asked for gas bills during last winter but that is it. In discussion threads I see the use of load calculations and manual j calculation, is this what the two contractors did when they punched a few numbers into their calculator? What other questions should I ask? Thank you.

Old 11-05-09, 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by jimro56
my question is which unit would be the better choice.
If both install was perfect, go with the Carrier! That furnace with a perfect matching Infnifty t-stat will be a great system. Carrier uses 3 stages of heat for much better comfort of heat.

With that Infinity t-stat, you have a lot of control of your furnace for comfort, and humidity control in the summer with the A/C.

What kind of filter were they/you getting?

My original furnace is 125,000 btu and each company asked me the size of my house and one asked for gas bills during last winter but that is it. In discussion threads I see the use of load calculations and manual j calculation, is this what the two contractors did when they punched a few numbers into their calculator? What other questions should I ask? Thank you.
Did they measure each room, windows, go into the attic.. ect??

A Manual-J is a program that you enter in each rooms info, and have a report printed out of what the loads are in each room and house total.

You can download your own to compair to theirs if you are unsure if they done it.

Has the windows or insulation been updated over the years?

I don't know how big your house is, but 100k Carrier, and the 90k Amana seems like a large furnace.

My house was built in '68, and the old furnace was 115k, and I am down to a 60k, and my first stage (Two stage furnace) keep up fine when we are below zero outside.

Old 11-05-09, 06:11 AM
Amana AMV9090 ;Has a stainless steel haet exchanger

AMV9 Gas Furnace

Up to 95% AFUE Performance

Two-Stage, Variable-Speed

Outstanding Warranty Protection*

This furnace is covered by what we consider to be one of the best warranties in the indoor home comfort industry. If the heat exchanger ever fails to the original, registered, homeowner we will provide a new furnace. This furnace also has a 10-Year Parts Limited Warranty* on all functional parts. For a full description of all warranties applicable to this product, please click on the consumer brochure or product warranty links below.

Product Features

Patented Million Air™ Stainless Steel Dual-Diameter Tubular Heat Exchanger
Efficient & Quiet Variable-Speed Circulator Motor
SureStart™ Silicon Nitride Igniter with Patented Adaptive Learning
Electronic Control Board with Self-Diagnostics
Auto-Comfort Mode for Enhanced Dehumidification
Run-Tested at Factory Prior to Shipment

-----------------------------------------------------------

Carrier 58MVC100 ; Dont think it does a definite -

Infinity 96 Gas Furnace does not.

Performance 95 Gas Furnace does.

Comfort 95 Gas Furnace does.

Last edited by GRIMKNOTME; 11-05-09 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-05-09, 07:09 AM
J
Originally Posted by Jay11J
If both install was perfect, go with the Carrier! That furnace with a perfect matching Infnifty t-stat will be a great system. Carrier uses 3 stages of heat for much better comfort of heat.

With that Infinity t-stat, you have a lot of control of your furnace for comfort, and humidity control in the summer with the A/C.

What kind of filter were they/you getting?

Did they measure each room, windows, go into the attic.. ect??

A Manual-J is a program that you enter in each rooms info, and have a report printed out of what the loads are in each room and house total.

You can download your own to compair to theirs if you are unsure if they done it.

Has the windows or insulation been updated over the years?

I don't know how big your house is, but 100k Carrier, and the 90k Amana seems like a large furnace.

My house was built in '68, and the old furnace was 115k, and I am down to a 60k, and my first stage (Two stage furnace) keep up fine when we are below zero outside.
The Carrier thermostat did look much nicer then Aprilaire one, that was a plus on the carrier unit. One feature that was mentioned on the Amana was a soldered heat exchanger vs a crimped heat exchanger on the Carrier, does this matter? The air cleaner was the reusing of my old Trion electronic cleaner with a standard 16x25x4 filter. The contractor with the Amana did ask questions about the windows and looked at and measured the duct work coming out of the furnace and he is the one that asked for the heating bills for therms used and temps from those months. The house is 2700 suare feet.

Old 11-05-09, 07:21 AM
My opinion

I have neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever replaced a stainless steel heat exchanger.

All others make a company :PTB: after labor warranty runs out runs out even tho part may have a 20 year or lifetime.

Old 11-05-09, 09:50 AM
Ok, you may be in line with the furnace sizing. On your old furnace, when it was -20˚, did it cycle on and off, or ran steady?

For a peace of mind, I suggest the 10 years parts and labor warranity. I got it, and if anything every happens, I'm covered.

Old 11-05-09, 10:21 AM
J
Jay,

If I recall the furnace would cycle on and off but the fan would continue to run. Both units come with 10 years on parts and labor.

Old 11-05-09, 01:39 PM
Amana had a decent furnace until Goodman got a hold of it and cheapened it up. Can't go wrong with carrier and the Infinity interface.

Old 11-05-09, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by jimro56
Jay,

If I recall the furnace would cycle on and off but the fan would continue to run.
If the the burners shut down(stat still calling for heat) on your and the fan ran the whole time, then it was tripping on limit due to a numbers of things.

-Fan was running too slow.
-Air filter was dirty.
-Poor ductwork.

Both units come with 10 years on parts and labor.
I looked at both, it says PARTS only.. Not labor. Unless the dealer has that in writing.

Old 11-05-09, 07:04 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skip4661
Amana had a decent furnace until Goodman got a hold of it and cheapened it up. Can't go wrong with carrier and the Infinity interface.
How did they cheapen it? Less mils in the heat exchanger? Or what? Our furnace guy installs Amana. This could be enlightening.

Old 11-05-09, 11:27 PM
Goodman may have got hold of it but comparing AMANA STAINLESS STEEL heat exchanger to goodman I think they may have a stailless steel part on their ignitor .

Old 11-06-09, 08:39 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I am not sure what you mean.

Or, are you saying that when Goodman bought them out, they discontinued using stainless for heat exchanger, and now you are lucky if they put one little piece of stainless anywhere, like on an ignitor mount, for example?

Old 11-06-09, 01:03 PM
V
You should get the Man J8 calcs done. The original was likely oversized and if you have made any efficiency improvements to the home's shell, that would reduce the system capacity requirements further. Man J8 has about a +15% fudge factor in it. You are better off rounding down when sizing. That way the equipment runs at design capacity (more efficiently) more often which saves you operating costs and lowers your purchase cost.

I am looking at the Carrier system for my home.

Old 11-06-09, 01:54 PM
Goodman = > NO < stainless steel heat exchanger

AMANA = A STAINLESS STEEL HEAT EXCHANGER

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: