Heat exchanger

Old 11-10-09, 12:25 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat exchanger

Folks:
I have a sixteen year old lennox forced hot air heater.My air conditioner a coil is in the heater also.my heater will not run and
technician said my heat exchanger is cracked and that's the reason it won't run.They say I must replace the heater!My first
question to the forum is can't I just replace the heat exchanger.
The tech said it is too expensive.My next question is one hvac
contractor said he will use a three stage motor because it's
better. One other said that a waste of money and will use two stage.The third said a standard motor is fine. I'm so confused
at this point I don't know what to do.Please help.Their prices
are from twelve hundred to &7800.Thank you in advance
Ron

Old 11-10-09, 02:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can you get a replacement heat exchanger under the warranty for the furnace? Often such guarantees are made for twenty years ---- sometimes lifetime guarantees.

If you can get the replacement heat exchanger for free then paying the substantial labor charge to replace it ($600+) might be worth considering.

Old 11-10-09, 04:16 PM
E
I suppose some furnaces are harder to do, that way, than others, and could greatly affect the price A landlady I worked for opted to have a new heat exchanger put in, after weighing out the cost against a new furnace.

Are you using the right terminolgy when you are refering to stages? Or is your HVAC guy really refering to a multi-speed blower motor that is 2 or 3 speed? Staging is a furnace's ability to change not just blower speeds, but gas volume and gas exhaust rates while in the heating mode. Where a multispeed blower motor in a single stage furnace is only capable of one speed for HEAT, one different speed for FAN ON, and yet one more different speed for AC. But you will not get 2 speeds while in HEAT, unless you have a 2-stage furnace.

Old 11-10-09, 06:25 PM
R
Stage

They were talking about the ac.Sorry I confused the issue
RON

Old 11-10-09, 06:28 PM
R
Seatle pioneer

YES the heat exchanger is under warranty.Is this something I
could do myself or is it a pro job?Thanks RON

Old 11-10-09, 07:58 PM
Replacing the heat exchanger involves tearing apart the entire furnace and then putting it back together again ---- correctly.

You need to be able to recognize and correct the goofs you are bound to make, which is beyond the ability of most DIYers.

The AC coil is probably not in the furnace, but in the plenum just outside the furnace where the fan motors directs air from the furnace.

That's pretty elementary knowledge that you ought to know already or figure out yourself if you were planning a DIY heat exchanger replacement.

Based on what you've shown us in this thread, I'd recommend against a DIY heat exchanger replacement.

Paying a competent repairman to do it with a free heat exchanger is reasonable.

Did the repairman condemn the heat exchanger IN WRITING? Did you get your repairman's recommendation to replace the furnace and their bid to do the job IN WRITING?

Unfortunately, there are quite a few heating contractors who use every repair call as an opportunity to sell people new equipment, whether they need it or not. Such outfits will condemn heat exchangers that are OK and pressure people into buying new equipment ---from them.

You may very well have a cracked heat exchanger, and the repairman may have been correct and honest with you. But just the same, I'd have a different repair outfit replace the heat exchanger and SHOW YOU where any cracks and holes are in your existing heat exchanger after it's removed and can be thoroughly inspected.

If there are holes or cracks --- fine.

If there aren't, I'd get a statement to that effect from the repairman who replaced the heat exchanger, and then file a claim with the outfit that condemned it, asking them for the money you spent to replace the heat exchanger they condemned in error.

If they don't pay up, I'd sue them in small claims court, and take the old heat exchanger with you to court along with you second repairman's statement that there are no holes.

Let the original repair outfit show the judge where the holes are! I'd like to be there laughing! Get the money for the original service call back too, since the work they did would be incompetent if not fraudulent.

So why break a sweat? The odds are reasonable that the original outfit might be paying the bill anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: