Age of furnace & rumbling noise

Old 11-18-09, 03:19 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Age of furnace & rumbling noise

My oil-fired hydronic furnace is a Becket/Burnham model about 20 years old. Last year I switched oil & service providers and since then the furnace has been running with a large rumbling & combustion noise (sounds like there is too much air). I have called the service back to fix the problem, but the tech says my furnace is very old and needs to be replaced. That will make the noise go away he says. Now I am getting repeated calls from this company to replace my furnace. I feel like I am being taken advantage of.

Should a good quality furnace like this one only last 20 years? Any comments on the rumbling noise?

Old 11-18-09, 06:51 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
At 20 yr old its time to start thinking about replacing any piece of heating or cooling equipment, if for no other reason then efficiency. Having said that, the rumbling noise should be an easy fix for a qualified tech.

Old 11-18-09, 06:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you have a service contract with this company, I'd document their refusal to fix the problem, then hire someone else to fix it and send the first company the bill.

If they refuse to pay it I'd sue them for breach of contract in small claims court.

The idea that a furnace needs to be replaced after twenty years is a crock. They are presumably refusing to provide the service they agreed to provide and now are trying to profit from their refusal.

Unfortunately, that's all too common among disreputable "repair" services.

Old 11-18-09, 09:19 AM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maybe it would pay to get a second opinion?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: