Condensate Line Clean out - Gas Furnace / AC in attic

Old 05-01-14, 04:39 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Condensate Line Clean out - Gas Furnace / AC in attic

I have an American Standard 90+ Gas furnace with the associated AC coils in the attic and I don't get up there too often to inspect. I am doing some spring cleaning up there and wanted to get some advice on the condensate line.

First, I noticed that it is not cemented in place (PVC cement) and can be pulled apart at one of the joints at the upstream end of the "trap" component. See the attached photo.

I have two questions.

How often and what is the best way to clean the trap/ line if necessary.

and

Should all the PVC joints be cemented in tight or did the installer avoid this so the trap could be easily removed.

Attached Images  
Old 05-01-14, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
The trap & line can be blown out with compressed air or often just lung power.
The installer probably left that joint unglued for service but it is not good practice to do so. I prefer to install a union or a piece of rubber hose with clamps.
There should be a tee with a piece of PVC in the branch of the tee downstream of the trap.
When finished blowing out the trap & line, pour some hot water down it to help flush out any remaining slime. When you put things back together, pull off the cap on the tee at the furnace & pour in about 1/2 cup of ordinary bleach. Let it sit for an hour or so then chase with hot water & reinstall the cap. This cleaning should be done at least annually.

Old 05-02-14, 03:35 AM
C
Thanks for the good explanation.

That all makes good sense. Glad to know the process. This has definitely not been done yearly. It looks like I need to do a better job of having the system maintained.

Old 05-02-14, 03:51 AM
C
Grady,

As I look over the notes on this, one other item pops up. This system is in an unheated attic. Does this condensation line need to be insulated?

Old 05-03-14, 05:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
The condensate line with the trap in your picture is for the A/C. Is there another drain for the furnace? If there is, I suggest a heat trace on the line.
Where in MD are you?

Old 05-03-14, 08:07 PM
C
It would be my opinion that the installer missed that one because the vibration from the blower could cause that to separate. The cap on top is suppose to come off to blow out the drain. Use a PVC cleaner first, then a pvc cement to reconnect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: