Furnace Startup Issue

Old 11-19-09, 04:46 PM
Furnace Startup Issue

My 8 year old gas furnace has run fine until this year. When I first started it this season, the exhaust fan cycles on and off several times, then the burners finally light and the fan comes on and circulates warm air for a few minutes. The entire system shuts down before reaching thermostat set temp. Eventually they system starts again and now it finally has the house up to thermostat set temperature. Whats going on? The filter is not stopped up. Its a Ruud Model UGPJ-07EAUER nat gas upflow furnace with a Robertshaw model 9600 thermostat. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-09, 05:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have a voltmeter, make sure that terminal W to C (or metal ground), inside the furnace where the thermostat wires hook up inside, is not losing power (24vac), during call for heat, when the inducer shuts down. If it is, bad stat wire connection or bad stat. If not, and yet the inducer shuts down, comes back on, shuts down, etc., then look next for a loose connector between it and the control board or any relay. Gently wiggle them and see if inducer starts back up upon wiggling. Also feel if the inducer motor feels hot. Report if inducer makes any abnormal loud noises when trying to spin, or the sound of it having a hard time trying to spin as if motor is somewhat seized.

Has the stat been replaced?, and maybe you do not have settings maybe correct? Like dip switch settings for type of heat?, or times/hr. cycles?, or temp swing settings?, or if you have AC..... that you have no spread between AC and heat temp settings and you have it set to auto(automatically can switch from heat to AC ).(Some or all of this paragraph may or may not apply to you.)

This is a start.

Old 11-20-09, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the reply......no, nothing has been replaced or fooled with. It seems to be running fine now. Guess I won't worry abt it unless it acts up again?

Old 05-05-14, 08:00 AM
Culprit in my startup troubles turned out to be a bad thermostat. I replaced it last fall with a new Honey(bun)well unit and the furnace cycled glitch free since.