York Furnace cutting out - HELP!

Old 11-20-09, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York Furnace cutting out - HELP!

I have a York Diamond 80 furnace that would fire up, but as soon as it called for the blower - it would shut down. Someone told me to put a board in it - so I did, and that allowed it to call for the blower, but after several minutes, it shuts down now....I noticed that the ignitor has a crack, as soon as it starts to heat up, you can see where it's cracked, but it still heats up, and the furnace fires up, and the ignitor it starts to cool down, and shortly after that - it shuts down - what should I do????

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-09, 11:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This may be your furnace manual:

http://www.yorkupg.com/PDFFiles/035-...001-A-0404.pdf

Old 11-20-09, 11:46 AM
Pages six and seven of the manual describe the various diagnostic codes that may be signaled by the ignition control module. Which codes might be displayed there?

Old 11-20-09, 11:46 AM
Yes, I believe that is it...

Old 11-20-09, 11:49 AM
Well, I had watched it before, I will have to go back to the other house to be sure, but here's what I noticed....

It stays on for a about 1-2 seconds upon power up...and stays off all the way through until the furnace turns off...and if I'm not mistaken, it does not come back on again...let me check to be sure, I will go there now, will take about an hour to get back...thanks...

Old 11-20-09, 11:55 AM
This is not a question of how long the burners stay lit. It's about the diagnostic codes signaled by the ignition control module, apparently visible through a viewing port on the furnace. Did you read and understand that part of the furnace manual?

Old 11-20-09, 02:10 PM
Yes, I fully understand, I am electronically savvy, but here's the deal...

1 - the lighting sequence starts...
2 - power vent fan starts
3 - ignitor starts
4 - gas valve opens - burners ignite...
5 - ignitor turns off
6 - as soon as control calls for blower - within 1-3 seconds - the gas valve shuts down - and the blower keeps running until, I suspect, the temp sensor tells it it's cool enough ti shut dwon...

after 1-2 minutes - without any diagnostic flashes from the LED - it repeats this process again...I waited to see how many times it would repeat, I let it go 6 times and shut it down..

so....hope that explains it, please advise - thanks Jim

Old 11-20-09, 02:43 PM
Do you have a multimeter that measures AC voltages? If so I'd measure the AC voltage to the "W" contact on the ignition control. This would be checking to see if the thermostat continues to call for heat or whether the thermostat is turning off the furnace for some reason.

It may be that the ignition control is defective, but I'd want to test that in various ways to see if the appropriate diagnostic codes are signaled if the pressure switch is disconnected when it shouldn't be, what happens when the flame sensor wire is disconnected, what happens when the limit switch is disconnected and so on.

Measuring the DC microamps on the flame sensor should be checked.

It APPEARS that the ignition control is operating erratically, but before I'd replace it I'd want to check that out in detail. Whether you have the ability to figure out those tests is something you would have to decide.

Old 11-20-09, 02:52 PM
As an example of how things need to be checked carefully, you said you observed the burners go out six consecutive times. The specification for the eight flash code are to display that if the flame signal goes out five times.

So if your description is accurate, you might have expected to get the eight flash code. But if you weren't counting carefully, you might not have let it run through enough trials.

It also begs the question of if you were getting the specified number of DC microamps flowing through the flame sensor when the burner was lit.

Old 11-20-09, 02:58 PM
You might also want consider the six flash code carefully. Whether the inducer motor stays on or shuts off might be a clue as to whether the pressure switch is opening.

Also, using an AC voltmeter to check to see if the pressure switch is opening would be useful, as would pulling off a wire to the pressure switch at suitable moments to see if you get the predicted flash codes listed in the manual.

Old 11-20-09, 04:46 PM
Thank you very much, yes, I have a good multi-meter so testing those things is no problem for me at all.

I wanted to be sure that I did not misrepresent something - I let the furnace cycle through this process 6 times, and even after that - there are no diagnostic codes given at all, only the first initial LED flash indicating power up.

Secondly, this furnace has a brand new board, and the one thing that is observed is that as soon as the board calls for the blower to come on - that's when everything shuts down....I will do some testing tomorrow, and will get back to you to let you know what I find.

Thank you so much!!! Jim

Old 11-20-09, 05:13 PM
The instruction manual has a lot of good information on how the furnace should operate. That offers a variety of things to test and inspect.

You talk about "the blower." I presume you mean the fan motor that circulates air around the house, but there is also the inducer motor that circulates combustion air through the furnace.

You are going to need to check out quite a lot of detail provided in the manual to try to identify what's causing the problem. There are so many things to check that it's not really going to be possible to guide you very much.

I'd print out and use the manual and check out the sequence of operation in detail and see if you can understand what is going on.

Perhaps some others who post here will have some ideas.

Old 11-20-09, 06:45 PM
Does thsi furnace even have flame sensor rod? Or does it rely on the HSI to sense flame? You already said the HSI has a crack. Ohms test the thing. Sounds like it is on the way out. It may have enough current flowing thru it, at the moment, to set off the burners. But if it also senses flame, maybe not enough for that.

The fact the flame goes out when the blower kicks on may or may not be relevant.

Does the exhaust fan shut off or keep running when the burners go out? That is a helpful clue to know.

Old 11-21-09, 03:27 PM
Hi - this does have a flame sensor rod - and the exhaust fan stays on for while after the unit cuts out...any thoughts???

Old 11-22-09, 12:22 PM
How soon is it that the inducer fan motor shuts down?

Please reread your OP, and rewrite it making it more clear as to the differences before and after the new control board was put in. And by new control board, you refering to a board that is possibly inside a metal cover box inside the blower compartment? And if so, do you have a separate ignition control module in the burner compartment? If so, identify the abbreviated letters on it, for us, that have wires hooked to it.

You could test the stat by either testing with a voltmeter set to AC volts, between W and ground or common, down in the furnace where the thermostat wires hook up. Or, you could temporarily jumper between R and W, to see if the thermostat has been dropping out or not.

Last edited by ecman51; 11-22-09 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Changed my mind on first sentence + add paragraph