RUUD Gas Furnace Shuts Down What does 3 green LED flashes mean??

Old 11-26-09, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
RUUD Gas Furnace Shuts Down What does 3 green LED flashes mean??

Hello,

Just found this great site! My location: Memphis, TN

RUUD Silhoutte II Model UGPH-07EAUER
Gas furnace goes through startup cycle, lights, good blue flames, runs 3or4 minutes, blower motor (squirrel cage) doesn't start. Unit shuts down. Model 1012-920A board shows green, another green and a third orange flashing. When unit shuts down board gives 3 green flashes on the second green LED. 3 greens continue until I unplug furnace.

(I can't look up codes because the data on the panel back isn't there. A pdf of the RUUD diagnosis process would really help.)

Happy Thanksgiving & Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-09, 01:35 PM
3 flashes

alot of times the codes are generally the same...3 flashes is normally pressure switch problem.is this an 80 or 90 percent efficient?is it vented with pvc pipe?if so,you need to check to see if the venting system is clear.also if it is a 90 percent make sure that you see that condensate is coming from the furnace to the drain,or if it goes to a condensate pump that the pump is working,and the line is clear

Old 11-26-09, 02:05 PM
Seabee,

80% no pvc After last shutdown. I reached in and felt blower motor - very hot, but it hadn't run.
already checked capacitor, so I'm guessing motor is bad. Unit was new in 1994.

Your help is much appreciated!

Old 11-26-09, 08:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
http://www.allreds.net/WS2/docs/rhe/rgph-man.pdf

Page 34 indicates 3 = limit switch is open.

If you are getting 120VAC and your cap is good, replace the motor.

Old 11-27-09, 07:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
You should also replace your run capacitor anytime you replace a motor.

A ohm test is not an accurate method for testing capacitors.
(I don't know the method you used )

Old 11-27-09, 04:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can ohms test he motor though, testing between run and neutral wires (should have some resistance), and also test from any of those wires to chasis ground (should have an open reading -any reading here means internal motor short). To do these tests, all the wires, except for the green ground wire, have to be disconnected at their ends.

With the furnace turned off, will the blower easily spin several revolutions, and many.....maybe 10 seconds, when you give it a push, before it stops? It should, if the bearings are good. And then if that checks out okay, what happens if you try to give the motor a push start with an instrument (for your own safety) in the correct direction, when the furnace is on and tries to make the blower run? Will it spin? Or, instead act like suddenly a magnet is holding the blower wheel in place?

And a capacitor alone would only cost you about $10.

Motors, at least in my neck of the woods, can run from $65 - $125. I'm throwing that in, in case you have no clue and had someone come out and tell you it is a $500 -800 job. I have heard of some terrible prices some people have paid service men, from other posters on this board. Blower motors can be changed out (very DIY-able job)in about an hour, give or take some, depending on who is doing it, on what brand furnace, and the experience they have.

Old 11-28-09, 05:01 PM
RUUD Silhoutte II Gas Furnace Codes - Resolution

It was the motor! Bearings were bad - which let the armature wobble and take out the windings. New motor was $159 - new capacitor $10. All wire colors from the original motor & new one were the same except one. No yellow but there was an orange. Apparently the circuit board likes it because heat has run properly for about a day.

Everyone - thanks for the answer - it helps when your not flying completely blind.