GXM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace Drianage Problem/Question

Hello,

Intro: I live in Toronto and have a Lennox Merit Series G41
furnance with central AC. My house is about 5 years
old.

My furnace has two drain pipes. One is a clear pipe that looks like it goes from the AC in the furnace to the drain in the floor. The other drain(clear hose) goes from a small black box on the side of my furnace (this box is approx 7"Hx6"Wx3"D and has rubber cleanout plug on the bottom) to what looks like a piece of black PVC pipe about 10" long and sounds like it has gravel in side?, then there is another clear pipe from here to the floor drain.

Can anyone tell me what this PVC pipe w/gravel is for?
the black box has filled up with water twice this year and when it does, the furnace stops until the water is cleared out?

thank you,
GXM

Old 12-01-09, 10:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Often condensing furnaces of the kind you have have a plastic fitting that isolates the furnace combustion air and gasses from the outside of the furnace. The idea here is to allow the condensate (water) to drain out of the furnace but to keep the air inside the furnace from being able to get out.

It's fairly common for that fitting to get clogged with mold and gunk, and that sounds like what is happening. If you can get good enough access to it, you make be able to clean it by pouring water into it or into an area drained by the furnace.

If that doesn't work, you may be able to remove it and clean it by flushing it with water. In some cases, it may need to be replaced with a new part.

Old 12-01-09, 10:48 AM
G
GXM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks SeattlePioneer,

There is an opening that extends above the black box and it looks like I would be able to pour water through this to clean it out. What have been doing at this point is giveing the black pvc pip (the one in the middle of the clear rubber drain pipe) a shake and the water will gurgle out....I think I will pour the water to clean it out.

Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: