Gas Heater Starts But Flame Goes Out??

Old 12-01-09, 03:40 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Heater Starts But Flame Goes Out??

My house heater turns on, but does not heat. It starts the burners then they go right out. This just started. I have a youtube video of it YouTube - Heater Problem.avi , to better explain the problem. I hate paying for what I can do myself

Thank You for your help.

Old 12-01-09, 04:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A video is worth a thousand words.

Check the viewing port in the fan compartment cover in the bottom portion of the furnace. There is probably a diagnostic code being signaled by a flashing light there.

If you take the fan compart5ment cover off, there is probably an explanation of what the code is signaling.

Take the cover off the burner compartment, and report the make and model of the furnace from the rating plate in the burner compartment. The explanation for the diagnostic code might be in the burner compartment if you don't find it in the blower compartment.

Odds are it's a flame sensor that needs cleaning or a pressure switch that is opening for some reason.

Old 12-03-09, 03:16 PM
T
I opened the heater and the light did not blink at all . So I did a video with more details of the problem. More Detailed Heater Video

HELP!! It is getting cold here and heat would help.

Thanks For All Your Help!!

Old 12-03-09, 03:31 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
In the left-hand burner port you see that rod coming down just slightly off center? That is the flame sensing rod. It doesn't look like it was being engulfed by the flame during the time that both burners were lit.

Follow where the wiring from this rod goes back to the control and make sure all the connections are clean and tight. If you can easily remove the rod (and its holder) see if the end looks like it was perhaps burnt off (it shouldn't be) and then using a Scotchbrite pad polish the rod. Reinstall it and and then test fire, checking that the flame does indeed touch (or better, engulf) the rod.

If everything checks out but the flame does not touch the rod you may have low gas pressure although this is not common.

Old 12-03-09, 04:02 PM
furd makes a good observation ---- it does look like the flame sensor doesn't extend down into the flames. That could be a fluke of the video.

But if it doesn't it needs to. The idea that it might have been burned off is plausible.

Also, I notice that this furnace is a Janitrol/Goodman model GMP. That furnace has a definite weakness for the burner sampling port for the pressure switch to get plugged up with rust or crud.

Just as general maintenance if nothing else, I'd pull the rubber hose off the barb on the inducer motor housing and use a very small drill bit to clean around inside that fitting, making sure you get allo the way into the inside of the inducer motor fan area.

Old 12-03-09, 04:38 PM
T
Can I buy the flame rod at say Lowes??? What would I get?? Just a metal rod the same diameter but longer??

Old 12-03-09, 04:51 PM
E
Originally Posted by tcr1016
I opened the heater and the light did not blink at all .
Take the bottom cover off and then press in the safety switch located near the top of where the top of the door goes. This will turn on the furnace. Then see what the blink code does and/or says. Like, 4 quick flashes, a pause, 4 quick flashes, a pause, etc.

Flame rods need to be bought at an HVAC company that carries that make of furnace, or a mechanical supply house where they stock HVAC -electrical and plumbing parts. Be sure to tell them the make and model of the furnace, from the rating plate located inside the top section of the furnace on the inside's side panel. Call first. Ask for their 'city desk' or heating dept. Make sure they will sell to a non-licensed homeowner. Tell them pro's on a forum are assisting you.

Old 12-03-09, 04:56 PM
T
Originally Posted by ecman51`
Take the bottom cover off and then press in the safety switch located near the top of where the top of the door goes. This will turn on the furnace. Then see what the blink code does and/or says. Like, 4 quick flashes, a pause, 4 quick flashes, a pause, etc.
I did that a no blink at all. It shows in the video that the red light does not blink.

Old 12-03-09, 04:59 PM
E
So I don't have to go back and watch/listen to the video again, does the inducer fan also shut off when the flame goes out?

Never mind, I went back to the video. It stays running. We can likely rule out thermostat shutting off. Likely flame sensor or pressure switch related(host of reasons, not usually switch itself!). Can you find flame sense probe to remove it and clean it as suggested? Then if that does not help, we can move onto the pressure switch.

Old 12-03-09, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by tcr1016
Can I buy the flame rod at say Lowes??? What would I get?? Just a metal rod the same diameter but longer??

IS the flame rod so short that it isn't reliably engulfed by the burner flame?

Old 12-03-09, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51`
So I don't have to go back and watch/listen to the video again, does the inducer fan also shut off when the flame goes out?

No. The inducer fan continues to run.

Old 12-03-09, 05:25 PM
E
I see the legend printed on the ignition control box's white cover. What does it say regarding the steady light? And does it give a code for if the board is bad?

Have you taken the flame sensor out. They make furnaces so you can get to them relatively easy. I had to get to one in an enclosed furnace a couple days ago that was one of the worst, and even that was easy if you have any dismantling skills from say working on cars. You simply look and remove any plates or anything that are in the way, if need be. Whenever dismantling, you want to make sure you remember how all goes back (like lay any plate the right direction and right side up so you know, or write directions on it with magic marker) and pay attention to what length screws came out of where, so you do not insatall a long one where a short one is supposed to go, and puncture something.

And do you have a volt-ohm meter to do any testing we'd like you to do?

And you could try to jumper a couple pressure switch wires to each other, once removed from the pressure switch, by using perhaps even a paper clip bent so that it is just wire, and insert it into each spade on the end of the wire.

The faster you answer stuff, the faster your problem will be solved.

Old 12-05-09, 07:56 AM
T
I want to THANK everyone for helping. It was the sensor rod. I ran fine sandpaper down it a couple of times. Then it fired right up and is staying lit. The nights got down to the 20s and the days in the 30s. The space heater was not cutting it.

Thank you again!!

Old 12-05-09, 04:45 PM
E
You have both saved yourself good money and now you also are more learned, for any future incident.

And yes it can feel horribly cold in the south, if say the temps drop from 70 to 40 or less. It's all relative.

Old 11-07-13, 08:16 PM
R
Thumbs up Easy Fix- Thanks a lot

I found 3 pilot light tubes(?).
On either side a small rod hangs by the outer flames.
I cleaned only the skinnier and easier to access rod w sandpaper after unscrewing and "pulling it out".
So far so good.
God is good, and so is this website.
Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: