Furnace controller board UTEC 1012-920A

Old 12-08-09, 10:12 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace controller board UTEC 1012-920A

I have a two-stage Ruud Silhouette II with controller board UTEC 1012-920A. I have a one-stage White-Rodgers thermostat. No a/c or de-humidifier involved.

I have read elsewhere that (some) controller boards will provide fixed-time two-stage operation (ie furnace comes on at lower speed for an initial fixed period, then switches to high speed if needed) even when using a one-stage t-stat. I desperately need this for our new house, because the furnace now comes on at full power, which just blasts us out of our bedrooms at night.

Can I get my furnace to come on low for an initial 10 minutes, given the UTEC 1012-920A controller board? If so, how?

Thanks!

Old 12-08-09, 10:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'd be shopping around for a suitable thermostat designed for two stage operation. That will maximize the comfort in your house.

Do you have the installation/operation manual for your furnace? It would describe how the way you can use a conventional thermostat with your furnace.

Again, I'd seriously consider a two stage thermostat.

Old 12-08-09, 09:39 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I do have the installation manual for the furnace. Regarding the UTEC 1012-920A controller board, the only setting it describes is the DIP switches that control how long the blower stays on after the burners shut off. The fact that the manual says nothing about low-speed versus high-speed settings on the controller board leads me to believe that, for this particular controller board, the only way to get two-stage functionality is through a two-stage thermostat.

I think the "low speed for 10 minutes" approach that some controller boards provide would be more than adequate for me here in the usually mild climate of N. California. I am hoping that someone can tell me how to get my UTEC board to do it.

Thanks!

Old 12-09-09, 05:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Installation Manual

Look in the book under 'wiring'. It should tell you how the furnace is supposed to operate with a single & two stage stat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: