weil mclain boiler temperature

Old 12-08-09, 01:51 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
weil mclain boiler temperature

I have a weil mclain Eg 40 steam boiler and what would you say is the highest temperature inside the boiler as it is cycling and making steam.

Old 12-08-09, 05:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Boiler Temp.

I'd have to know the operating pressure.

Old 12-09-09, 08:11 AM
D
I do not no how to answer your reply but I will try. The boiler is 28 years young. The boiler builds up pressure to about 2 and a half pounds and then recycles. I have re-insulated with mineral wool and it gets heat faster to the radiators. I would say it is running at 80% efficiency.

Old 12-09-09, 04:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Steam Temperature

The temperature of steam at 2 psi is 218.5F. Here is a table.
http://www.indpipe.com/images/PDF/st...sure_table.pdf

Old 12-10-09, 08:37 AM
D
I find that hard to believe unless I am missing something. My gas wall oven for cooking I can set it at 450 degrees and my gas boiler with five burner tubes only gets to 200 + degrees , I would think the boiler where the flame is coming up is a lot hotter then that.

Old 12-10-09, 08:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It takes a lot of heat to change the temperature of water.

Old 12-10-09, 04:25 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Denmick, of course the flame is the hottest part of the boiler and the products of combustion (along with the air carrying them) will be somewhat cooler than the flame. However, the steam, water and the cast iron of the pressure vessel will all be very close to the same temperature and THAT temperature is dependent on the steam pressure. The only time that the temperature of the metal of the pressure vessel will be significantly different than the steam and water is when there is an insulating layer of soot on the fire side or scale on the water side.

Old 12-11-09, 11:00 AM
D
The reason I ask about the boiler temperature at the 5 burners is because I have insulation at the front base panel which is the panel that the acess door is attached to check the pilot light. In my posts I said I went with mineral wool insulation that supports up to 2100 degrees. The metal jacket above the front base panel appears to have regular fiberglass insulation . Since I put the mineral wool in the metal jacket does not get as hot nor does the top of the metal jacket. I would think that the temperature at the five burners as the flame goes into the boiler has to be over 500 degrees.

Old 12-11-09, 11:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Well denmick, it's not clear to me what you are doing, but in general I wouldn't do it.

In general I'd recommend against DIY improvements on the combustion system of a furnace or boiler. You are a lot more likely to screw things up than improve them, in my opinion.

Old 12-11-09, 02:09 PM
D
All I am doing for you so called experts is putting new insulation on the front base panel. The old insulation just fell apart after 28 years. I should get a gold star for doing it. I went to four plumbing supply houses and nobody had the insulation that came with the boiler. I called a gas contractor who services boilers and he never had replace the insulation. It took me a day looking on the internet to find a place that sold mineral wool or you could use Ceramic Fiber Insulation Board.I guess you so called experts would just take the insulation off. I had no choice it was falling on the pilot light causing a unsafe condition.

Old 12-11-09, 03:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"so called experts"

You came here asking for temperatures "inside the boiler as it is cycling & making steam". You got that information & then some, never saying what you wanted to do. Had you been up front with your intentions, there very well could have different responses. As far as the "so called experts" here, the majority of those offering advice here have forgotten more than you will likely ever know. Should you have any more questions don't bother asking us since you know more than we do.

Thread Closed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: