Pilot Flame too big even with new Gas Valve

Old 12-11-09, 07:27 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Pilot Flame too big even with new Gas Valve

I just replaced a new valve for my home gas furnace.
I thought the old valve was bad for the same reason.
I tried adjust it with the screw (after removing the security screw, of course) but that didn't work, so i thought the valve was bad.

Now it's the same thing! the flame is way too big, I read somewhere it should be about 2in long. But mine is about about 4-5. The pilot adjustment screw just doesn't do anything!

I also checked the pilot piping and found no leaks.

what else could be the cause? everything else seems to work fine.

Old 12-11-09, 07:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
In my opinion, replacing gas valves is not a task suitable for DIYers. There are a variety of ways you can screw up, and some can be dangerous.

My suggestion is to call a pro to deal with the problem.

Old 12-12-09, 02:04 PM
E
Are the burner flames sky high also?, or not?

Are you on natural gas or propane?

Old 12-12-09, 02:16 PM
T
not right gas pressure or not enough oxygen on pilot?

Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Are the burner flames sky high also?, or not?

Are you on natural gas or propane?
I might have a similar problem. After installing a new spark igniter, adjusting the electrode, the sparks goes over to the pilot burner but does not ignite the pilot gas.

Gas does flow to the pilot burner, but I can only ignite that with a lighter, not with the spark from the electrode. The spark is blue, the pilot flame as well

Does the screw on the main gas valve "adjust Pilot" triggers the gas and/or oxygen amount?

Would you think, the problem is there?

(I have a carrier furnace (1975) with a Pilot Model BDP 733B )

Any help is higly appreciated,
Sebastian

Old 12-12-09, 02:59 PM
F
I had no problems installing it. And i don't think i did anything wrong. I'm just having the same problem before i replaced it with the new valve.

I use Natural gas.
Burner's flame Normal: they're all blue and seem to work perfectly.
thats something i dont understand bc I can see it may not be the Gas Pressure.

Is the pilot flame supposed to be blue? or it doesn't matter?

Old 12-12-09, 03:06 PM
E
Originally Posted by turtle_99 View Post
I might have a similar problem. After installing a new spark igniter, adjusting the electrode, the sparks goes over to the pilot burner but does not ignite the pilot gas.

Gas does flow to the pilot burner, but I can only ignite that with a lighter, not with the spark from the electrode. The spark is blue, the pilot flame as well
You are able to place the lighter more strategically than the spark is able to do in it's fixed location, explaining why you can get it to go with the lighter. If the furnace used to run, as was - then before making any adjustment, I'd remove the pilot burner assembly, and make sure the tiny pilot hole is clear. And to make sure the metal that the spark sparks to is nice and bright.

Does the screw on the main gas valve "adjust Pilot" triggers the gas and/or oxygen amount?
Well, the little, recessed adjustment screw is under the big screw, which is just a cap cover. Yes, but if you change it, without cleaning the pilot, then maybe if the pilot hole freed itself you'd have an extra large pilot flame.

If you have a problem in the future(in any of the forums here), please start a new thread. And in your case, your problem is sort of the opposite of the OP poster. You have little pilot (maybe - or misaligned/maladjusted electrode). He has too much pilot.

Old 12-12-09, 03:14 PM
E
Originally Posted by fugaz-star View Post
I had no problems installing it. And i don't think i did anything wrong. I'm just having the same problem before i replaced it with the new valve.

I use Natural gas.
Burner's flame Normal: they're all blue and seem to work perfectly.
thats something i dont understand bc I can see it may not be the Gas Pressure.

Is the pilot flame supposed to be blue? or it doesn't matter?
Blue burns hotter and more complete and does not then create carbon soot, as a yellowed flame does.

Kinda odd(to me) that even with a new valve you cannot diminsh or stop the pilot flame? And yet the burner is not also high? Or? - maybe you can't really be as sure about that as maybe that would affect not only the overall height, but how the inner burner cone is.

Maybe SP or others has some answers.

Old 12-12-09, 06:46 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

You have two problems:

1. There are lots of things you don't know about furnaces.

2. You don't know what they are.

Old 12-13-09, 09:15 AM
F
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer View Post
You have two problems:

1. There are lots of things you don't know about furnaces.

2. You don't know what they are.

well you're not helping much. Isn't this the purpose of this site? to help others and to teach others what they don't know. I have some experience on this type of things, but don't expect people to know 'everything'. Even you can't tell me what the problem may be.

Anyone else has any other suggestions?

Old 12-13-09, 09:55 AM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the pilot orifice fell out. did you have the pilot apart?

Old 12-13-09, 05:47 PM
F
The pilot is attached to one of the burners, i unscrewed the pilot piping from both end and checked for leak. And replaced it back in the new valve.

I don't think it may be the pilot, since gas supply is regulated at the valve.
But i could try getting a new pilot pipe.

Furnace has been working well for the past 2 days but thermocouple (which was new) has started to deform due the intensity of the flame. I'm sure I'll soon have to get a new one.

thanks

Old 12-14-09, 05:47 PM
E
Clock your gas meter. Post the time it takes for the sweep hand to make one revolution around one of the lower cu.ft. dial numbers. Tell us what dial you used, and how many seconds. Use watch of some kind (my cell phone has stop watch feature). Do several tests. Then also post your furnace input btu rating from the mfg. and rating plate inside your furnace, to see if you only have a pilot issue, or gas volume issue.

Old 12-14-09, 05:52 PM
B
I'm glad I'm in PA and not MD; I wouldn't want my neighbor learning on the job how to fix a gas furnace that has "a pilot too high"; what else could go wrong that might be a final event? I fix what I can around the house but sometimes you have to know when to call in a pro. I think this might be one of those times IMO.

Old 12-14-09, 09:08 PM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The pilot is attached to one of the burners, i unscrewed the pilot piping from both end and checked for leak. And replaced it back in the new valve.

I don't think it may be the pilot, since gas supply is regulated at the valve.
But i could try getting a new pilot pipe.

Furnace has been working well for the past 2 days but thermocouple (which was new) has started to deform due the intensity of the flame. I'm sure I'll soon have to get a new one.

thanks
If you removed pilot tubing from pilot, chances are the orifice fell out, look around the vestibule area beneath the pilot for a small silver colored orifice

Old 12-16-09, 02:46 PM
F
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mbk3 View Post
If you removed pilot tubing from pilot, chances are the orifice fell out, look around the vestibule area beneath the pilot for a small silver colored orifice
yes, thanks. that solved it. But actually i ordered a new bracket with parts from Grainger. Everything is working fine.

Thanks people for helping me out with this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: