Changing out a heat exchanger on a Trane

Old 12-12-09, 09:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing out a heat exchanger on a Trane

The heat exchanger is out on my Trane. I have found where it can be order online, but some sites say that they don't sell them for safety issues. It doesn't look that difficult to change, just very time consuming. Does anyone know what the safety issues or concerns are with changing one? Do the burners need to be adjusted after the installation? Thanks for all input!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-09, 11:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't consider replacing a heat exchanger a good DIY task. You are tearing the whole furnace apart and then have to put it back together again ----correctly. There are lots of opportunities to goof up. Setting it up and adjusting it for correct operation is a part of that task, and not one DIYers would ordinarily have the skills to do.

Have you investigated whether the heat exchangers are under a guarantee? I'd normally expect a 20 year guarantee on Trane heat exchangers.

Old 12-14-09, 04:09 PM
It only had a 10 year warranty and the unit was installed 1995. I'm not concerned with the disassembly or re-assembly. I just wasn't sure about adjusting it after being re-assembled. I'm comfortable with adjusting the ventura. What other adjustments are required?