Blower Motor will not shut off on Carrier unit

Old 12-13-09, 11:20 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blower Motor will not shut off on Carrier unit

Hello I have a Carrier 58gsc080-DB forced air furnace with AC. I have been using the unit for the last 2 or three weeks, then I went to use it and it fired up. All was good and then it reached its temp and the blower did not shut off. I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. How do I determine what went bad. Is there a fuse, switch, relay, control board?????? Any help or input would be great. Low on funds much repair myself. Thanks in advace John

Old 12-14-09, 12:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The instruction manual for your furnace is here:

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...t/58gs-1si.pdf

Will the burners turn on now that the fan is running continuously, or are you getting no heat now if you turn the thermostat up?

Old 12-14-09, 09:07 AM
J
Thanks for the link to the Manual, No there is no heat now. It is not lighting off, I dont even hear the electronic spark.

Old 12-14-09, 09:33 AM
You need a multimeter that can measure 24 VAC to check things out further.

Connect on lead to the C terminal on the circuit board and see if you have 24 VAC at the R terminal when you push in the fan compartment door switch.

If you do, see if you have 24 VAC to the W terminal when the door switch is pushed in and the thermostat is turned up.

And no, there is no fuse on this furnace.

Old 12-14-09, 10:52 PM
J
Thanks SP I do have a multimeter and will check that out. I hope mine will do 24v.

Old 12-15-09, 12:52 AM
J
OK I hooked on to the C terminal and the R terminal and pushed the fan cover switch. The fan came on (as it is stuck in an ON status) and read the VAC. The reading was nothing. I then did the C to W terminals and still nothing with the T-stat on. Just to be clear you mean the C terminal and not the GC terminal correct?

OK now that there is no power across the terminals, What does that mean? Is the board bad?

Thank you thank you for your help, cheers john.

Old 12-15-09, 09:36 AM
You want to look at the circuit diagram for your furnace.

The portion that is failing is that between Sec1 and R. So you again want to connect your multimeter to C and push the door switch in. Then check for 24 VAC at Sec 1 (the output of the transformer) if no 24 VAC there, the transformer is burned out.

LIM1 is connected to the fusible link, which burns out if flame strikes it (flame rollout). Check for 24 VAC on the opposit side of that. If no voltage, the fusible link is burned out.

The fusible link is connected to the limit switch, which shut off the burners if the furnace overheats. Check on the opposite side of the limit switch for 24VAC. If none at that point, the limit switch needs to be replaced.

It should be one of those.

Old 12-15-09, 09:05 PM
J
(This checked out at 26,6 vac)
The portion that is failing is that between Sec1 and R. So you again want to connect your multimeter to C and push the door switch in. Then check for 24 VAC at Sec 1 (the output of the transformer) if no 24 VAC there, the transformer is burned out.

(I check from LIM1 and hooked on there and then followed that wire up to where it went into the furnace body and then hooked on to the other side of what looked like a fuse device. RESULT no voltage.) Im guessing that is the problem. NOW where to find the part.
LIM1 is connected to the fusible link, which burns out if flame strikes it (flame rollout). Check for 24 VAC on the opposit side of that. If no voltage, the fusible link is burned out.

Did not do this as there is no voltage to the above.
The fusible link is connected to the limit switch, which shut off the burners if the furnace overheats. Check on the opposite side of the limit switch for 24VAC. If none at that point, the limit switch needs to be replaced.

Guess Im looking for a fusible link, but where to get one, and why did I get a flame roll out. Thank You SP for your help this is getting good. WOW my hat is off to you, you know your stuff. If you need help with radio controlled models let me know. LOL

Old 12-15-09, 11:32 PM
The simplest thing to do is to shop around for a distributor that sells Carrier, Day and Night or Payne brand furnaces, or look for pretty much any heating repairman. They should all have Carrier fusible links for your furnace. These are low cost parts ---
$5-10.

However, the fusible link probably burned out for a reason. Flames from the burners probably backed out the front of the furnace causing the fusible link to open.

A common cause of this would be a heat exchanger plugged with soot because of dirty burners.

Use a flashlight to look up the draft diverter to observe the top of the heat exchanger cells. If you see black soot, the heat exchangers need to be cleaned.

The draft diverter is the opening in the furnace that allows you to see up to the inside of the vent pipe.

Old 12-16-09, 09:42 AM
J
Cheers SP I'll check that out and let you know what I find out.

Old 12-16-09, 01:36 PM
How many burners are in the furnace? Each burner has a separate heat exchanger. See if you can tell how many of the heat exchangers (if any) are sooted up.

Removing the pilot burner and burners will allow the heat exchangers to be checked more carefully. You need a small mirror on a stick and a flashlight to be able to view the heat exchangers from the inside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: