Beckett AFG tilt?

Old 12-23-09, 02:07 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Beckett AFG tilt?

Hello- I've found out that my Beckett AFG should be tilted down 2 degrees into the furnace, and it seems it's tilted up instead.

I've seen mention of a set screw to adjust this, but for the life of me I can't find it. The manual isn't clear about how, either.

How do I get the 2 degree tilt?

It's mounted to a Unicell ComfortAire Forced Air Oil Furnace by Heat Controller, MN OBUA95 - D3.5S.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-09, 07:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
2 Tilt

Most burners installed as original equipment have the mounting flange welded to the burner tube thus the absent set screw. If the furnace is level, the 2 downhill slope is built in.

Old 12-26-09, 03:42 PM
O
Hello, and thanks again for your replies.

It wasn't installed as oem, the oem heat pump was replaced around 1990 by a previous owner. Here's a photo: Looking down at burner I do see a small hole in the top and bottom. Is it threaded for a screw?

There is oil in the air tube that's seeping back to the burner, which is why I know it's not tilted correctly. I'm guessing I need a new nozzle adapter.

Old 12-26-09, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oem

That looks like a welded flange as would usually be supplied if the burner & furnace were sold as a package as opposed to if the burner was replaced separately. The most common causes for oil running back into the burner are either lack of draft or the 'Z' dimension being set wrong.

Old 01-02-10, 08:51 AM
O
I've set the Z using the Beckett Z gauge (which I see elsewhere that you don't care for?) The setting was off, but I haven't noticed a difference in the oil smell that seems to occur at the top of the basement stairs.

The stack draft is reading to 0.025.

Old 01-02-10, 10:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Draft

Is that .025 positive or negative? If positive you have a real problem. Even if negative it's a bit low. I'd rather see -0.04 at the breech & -0.02 overfire.

To say I don't care for the Beckett Z-gauge is an understatement. Never, ever, have I seen correct settings obtained when using that orange plastic piece of crap. They don't use it at the factory & it shouldn't be used in the field.

Old 01-02-10, 11:54 AM
O
It's negative. I'll see about increasing it a bit.

Thanks for clearing up any ambiguity on the Z gauge there! Taking the burner out and setting it correctly is on my list.

As far as the tilt of the burner is concerned, would you just ignore it? Is the only way to adjust it to have leveled the furnace to begin with? Since I need to remove the burner to set the Z anyway...

Old 01-02-10, 12:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tilt

As long as the furnace is level or very slightly tilted away from the burner you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 01-04-10, 05:41 PM
O
I've adjusted the draft, it's now -0.25 over fire, and -0.3 stack. There doesn't seem to be much of a difference in the two readings, does that matter?

The air tube is definitely pointing up, as the slight bit of oil in the tube seeps back to the burner, but it's not clear to me how this can be adjusted. I'll be taking the burner out soon to adjust the Z with the proper gauge, anything to check in regards to the tilt?

Thanks for reading!

Old 01-05-10, 05:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Burner Tilt

About the only way, other than leveling the furnace, I can think of to change the burner angle (might work, might not) is to shim the bottom of the flange out with some gasket material.