Rheem 90 Plus problem

Old 12-27-09, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rheem 90 Plus problem

I have a Rheem 90 Plus model RGRA-06EMAES 60k BTU gas furnace and I am having a problem with the gas igniting. The exhaust blower starts, the ignitor glows, and it appears the gas valve doesn't open to allow the furnace to fire. I had a tech come out and check the unit and he reccomends AT least a control board for $600 and a new ignitor for $250. I watched him testing the unit and no votage is going to the gas valve once the ignitor is glowing. He said without a doubt it's the control board. The blower turns on after the ignitor stops glowing but no flame. I have the knowledge and the ability to change both the ignitor and control board for about $200 total. I have two green lights and a one amber on the control board. The green ones stay one and I haven't seen the amber one on. Earlier today I turned the entire system on and off a few times and the system fired normally and then after a few hours it shut down. While I was typing this post I went down and look at the system again and tried it again BUT I pushed on the wires and it fired right up normally. Does anyone have any thoughts or doubts about the control board or just a loose wire somewhere?!?!?!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-09, 08:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Rheem

Disconnect the wires upon which you pushed & inspect them for loose or dirty connectors. If you have enough wire, you might want to cut them & install new connectors. It is possible you have a bad solder joint on the board or a weak relay.

Old 12-27-09, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wires

The wires I pushed on are located in the upper portion of the unit close to the gas valve on the right hand side.