Gibson Furnace blower?

Old 12-29-09, 08:22 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gibson Furnace blower?

a new furnace Gibson i believe 80 afue and 90000btu. model kg75a090c-24b. When we moved in the closets it was located in was like asauna and the door were hot to touch. I seems like you were walkin into a sauna walkin in the hall way next to it. Called it in and they sent someone out to see it. THey adjusted the combination control on the left side screw and said that would make it blow faster so it doesnt sit as long and heat like that. After they left they also opened up an air vent from the outside into the closet room that was blocked to let air flow in from outside(cold) to help with the heat. It doesnt get hot like before but now my gas bill is outrageous...it's doubled...DID they adjust the gas or something? not sure how the combination control works but all they did was turn a screw on the left side where the gas comes into the unit.? any idea....please help my gas everyday it nuts...

Old 12-29-09, 09:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Having adequate combustion air to burn the gas properly is important, and too often it's inadequate in furnaces located in closets.

The standards for ventilation for gas equipment in "confined spaces" such as closets can be Googled up or found in the furnace installation manual.

Clearing the vent was very likely the right thing to do, and one vent opening doesn't really meet the standard anyway --- two are generally required, one near the floor and another near the ceiling.

So that sounds correct. What else may have been done isn't clear from your post.

Old 12-29-09, 10:24 AM
F
Thank you for responding. I do believe the combustion vent is the one that is leading up through the second floor out the roof. That vent was never blocked...There is also an intake vent where it sucks in air at the side from outside the closet located at the joint in the ceiling.

The vent that was blocked was another vent that looks like a path way the size of a 11foot shoe box that has wires in it that i believe leads to the outside where it connects the airconditioner. That vent lets in a lot of cold air(like an airconditioner) now that they unblocked it They unblocked it after they adjusted the combination control. So i dont know if the closet was over heating due to that vent being blocked. Or because it wasnt blowing fast enough to get heat up into the vents....

All i know is the venting downstairs can be felt but its very slow....Of course the upstairs gets so hot you cant breath you have to close all the vents or you cook. I just noticed since they made the adjustment that the gas bill has been double. That screw to the left of the combination control that's closest to the gas pipe connection is for adjusting the blower? Or does it make it so more gas goes into the heater to blow it faster...Can that be why it's double because they adjusted it to blow faster makin it use more gas? How can you test that....should i turn that same screw myself. I dont know what Im doing with this of course....BUt wanted to make sure they didnt adjust it wrong. Seemed like when they were out checking it they didnt know what they were doing as well...SO made me concerned and post this message. Thank you for responding and your time.

Old 12-29-09, 05:03 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Maybe cold outside combustion air from that fresh air intake vent is also being sucked into the cold air return at the filter, and at bad duct joints, or even under the furnace if the base was cut out - diluting the heat, causing the furnace to run longer than necessary. And also causing the plenum and cold air and heating ducts to get a lot colder - both effects causing your bill to go up.

But also consider this: If the temp outside has also dropped - the heat bill be be sort of proportionally squared per the outside air temp drop. For example, for every 10 degrees the temp drops, the bill will not simply go up $10. The first 10 degree drop, from a 0 "heating degree day" standpoint, might be $10 (let's just say). The next 10 degree drop may make the bill $20 more. The next 10 degree drop might make the bill $40 more. That sort of scenario. Know what I mean?

Old 01-01-10, 05:12 PM
F
Another ?

Im not gonna even try to mess with what they did. I dont know what im doing and dont want to risk being dumb and making a mistake. I really just want to know what im talkin about when i call them back to check it out and know what ?'s to ask....I noticed on the Gibson inside the front panel there is a fan speed section that says L, ML, MH, H...i know it lower/raises the speed of the fan. I also know by calling the company its a 80%/90,000 BTU furnace...after reading ALOT of posts...i know its suppose to have atleast the 90,000 BTU when fired. I didnt see them using anything to measure the BTU to make sure it was right they just adjusted the Left side screw to the gas line location where the combination chamber(i thinks thats what its called). Dont know if there is to much gas goin in or not.

My gas meter outside. is a 2Cubic Ft. reader along with1/2 metter......and it takes about 2mins 10second to make a full turn on the 2ft meter and 39seconds on the 1/2 ft meter once the furnace kicks on .....nothing else was running so its just the furnace doin that...Does that sound like too much gas going into it.

any help would be appreciated...thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: