narrowall heater

Old 12-29-09, 05:00 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
narrowall heater

trying to fix old that has been working okay until this year 2009, was installed in a house built after WWII,holly mfg. co.,narrowall model 35S-D,Pasadena Calif. ser.#26396.I need to know if they still have parts for it and if they do where to get them.
I need the gas valve to turn on the gas to the manifold,the knob broke off and it leaks gas,this is the valve after the pilot valve and the diaghram valve.

Old 12-29-09, 06:56 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I have a couple of questions...
Do you have a wall thermostat?
Is this the model that has a hinged lower door & a grille in the upper portion of the front panel.
If yes to the grille...remove the grille and look down at the heat exchanger. This model frequently develops holes/cracks in the top portion as well as in the back wall above the burner.
Before you do any repairs verify the heat exchanger is intact.

If yes to the thermostat question, I assume the valve you are asking about is to turn the gas off/on, usually (or always) on the right side. I'm guessing the shaft has been damaged from using pliers? If you do have a thermostat, then you can remove the valve and plumb with conventional pipe fittings.
That furnace was originally equipped with a "B-60" gas valve, regulator and PG-9 pilot generator. Yours may have been worked on over the years.

Old 12-29-09, 07:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I recommend against DIY gas valve replacement.

It sounds like you have a millivolt control circuit. New millivolt controls would replace the existing electric gas valve, regulator, pilot safety and so on with one modern valve.

I'd shop around for a repair company to inspect the furnace to make sure the heat exchanger isn't cracked, the vent pipe, clean the burners and pilot burner and replace the gas valve.

Those old need a good inspection and cleaning once in a while.

Old 12-30-09, 03:33 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer
I recommend against DIY gas valve replacement.

It sounds like you have a millivolt control circuit. New millivolt controls would replace the existing electric gas valve, regulator, pilot safety and so on with one modern valve.

I'd shop around for a repair company to inspect the furnace to make sure the heat exchanger isn't cracked, the vent pipe, clean the burners and pilot burner and replace the gas valve.

Those old need a good inspection and cleaning once in a while.
S/P: I took his post to be the manual 3 position manual valve, that was used for manual contrtol, not thermostatic control. I would never advocate a DIYer replaciing a gas control valve.

Old 10-07-11, 07:58 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roughly when were Holly (of Pasadena, CA) furnaces manufactured?

Roughly when were Holly (of Pasadena, CA) furnaces manufactured?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: