coleman evcon blower comes on then off

Old 01-01-10, 09:12 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
coleman evcon blower comes on then off

It is a mobile home furnace and it will start and run for about 10secs then blower shuts off for about 10 secs. Iv checked and there is still fire inside so it is just the blower that is turning off. Iv set the tstat to on and the blower will stay running fine there. The tstat is a Honeywell. Any suggestions as to where to start looking?

Old 01-01-10, 09:57 AM
B
First I need to know your model and serial #

Old 01-01-10, 10:24 AM
E
serial 940667755
model DGAT056BDC

In the closet where the furnace is at i there is a big opening in front of the furnace, and i feel really cold air coming from under the mobile home. Could this have any effect? Im wondering if i should board up the open area?

Old 01-01-10, 12:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Dgat

The fan is controled by the temperature in the furnace. If you have a lot of cold air being drawn into the furnace it certainly could cause the fan to short cycle. If that hole is in the floor, yes board it up.

Several years ago Coleman had a bad batch of fan switches which would cause short cycling but the fan would cycle much faster than you describe.

Old 01-01-10, 12:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hey Grady---

The hole is probably to supply combustion air into the confined space of the closet for the furnace to burn. That should not be closed off.

The hole very likely serves a necessary purpose in supplying fresh air for the gas to burn.

Old 01-01-10, 12:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Combustion Air

That particular furnace, IF installed with the correct vent assembly, draws it's combustion air from the roof via a concentric vent assembly.

Old 01-01-10, 01:00 PM
E
There is the floor we walk on and if you remove that there would be about a foot area deep where the duct and plumbing all run there there is a layer of cheep partical board. Iv been under and there are huge holes everywhere for someone to fix something so they just busted a hole to get to it. Now in the furnace spot if you open the door the furnace is sitting about a foot back and there is no main floor right in front. So with all the holes under that is where all the cold air is coming from. The door that closes the furnace in is vented from top to bottom. So im assuming i can block off the missing floor area and should be ok cause its drawing air from inside the home?

Old 01-01-10, 01:15 PM
E
for now i stuffed a couple pillows in the hole and opeing the door now it is a warm feeling before it was chilly. See if it helps untill someone else has something else to say that may help.

Old 01-01-10, 01:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cold air

Just to be sure the furnace is vented properly, what is the diameter of the vent on top of the furnace? Does the chimney top above your roof look similar to this? Coleman Removable Crown w/ Extension 4000-6941/C | Coleman / Evcon furnace replacement parts | Magic Mobile Home Supply, Inc.

Old 01-01-10, 01:38 PM
E
Just went out and looked and that is the exact one i have and the inside pipe going out is fat like mabey as round as a volleyball. I have noticed now the cycle is lasting alot longer. I just cranked up the heat to see if it will shut off before the temp is hit that i set it to.

Old 01-01-10, 01:50 PM
E
Ok the cycle is now 25sec off almost 5mins on getting better

Old 01-01-10, 01:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vent

Sounds like the furnace is vented properly. Combustion air comes in under the lower 'upside down pie pan' on the chimney crown while the exhaust exits from under the upper one. I believe you would be fine in closing off the floor. Depending upon the size of the vents in the door, you may have to leave the door slightly ajar to keep the furnace from overheating. There is an air filter in the furnace door isn't there?

Old 01-01-10, 01:54 PM
E
yes there is a filter in the upper panel of the furnace when you take it off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: