Lenox WhisperHeat SP745 - Damper door will not fully open

Old 01-02-10, 06:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lenox WhisperHeat SP745 - Damper door will not fully open

Hello!

I am a new home owner of a year, and have rencently been having furnace problems. It is a WhisperHeat SP 745 (maybe 13 years old...)

I believe, what is called, the damper door (automatic door right infront of the pilot light) will not stay open. It will slowly open on its own, clicking and jumping back a few times. Then right as the pilot light starts to burn, it will slam closed, turning off the pilot. If I assist the door but not letting it snap closed, it will light up and run correctly, until the next time the furnace needs to turn on, it starts this problem all over.

I would guess that a tech could solve this problem right away, but I am hesitant to have some one come out till I am familiar with the problem. They tend to find other 'things' that need replaced, when I could get by with a simple solution.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-10, 07:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have an AC voltmeter I'd check to see if the thermostat is shutting off the furnace.

Another way to test that would be to connect the R and W terminals on the circuit board together with a wire, which is what the thermostat does when it calls for heat.

If the thermostat is the problem the furnace will operate normally when the jumper wire is connected.

Old 01-03-10, 10:36 AM
I would suspect the damper drive motor has stripped its gears.
Until the motor can be replaced you can carefully remove the damper and jump the damper open proving switch to get you some heat. The purpose of the door is to gain 2% efficiency so the furnace could be sold legally as an 80% efficient furnace.

Old 01-03-10, 11:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Skip's suggestion that the door opening mechanism is defective is probably right. That would account for the erratic operation described.

However, it could be that the thermostat isn't staying on properly. Jumping out the thermostat to check on that is a cheap way to eliminate that as a problem.