Goodman GMP draft motors

Old 01-03-10, 05:25 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman GMP draft motors

I have 2 draft motors on my system. One is in the furnace, one is mounted to a draft pipe. The draft pipe motor turns on, the motor on the furnace does not. After playing with the breaker and unpluging the draft pipe motor many times, they will come on together and everything else cycles. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-10, 06:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's somewhat difficult for me to follow your comments, but I'll try.

The furnace has two motors, one to circulate air around the house and the other to circulate the combustion gasses through the furnace, called an inducer motor.

I'm supposing one of the motors you are talking about is the inducer motor.

Some older furnaces had a fan motor to force the combustion gasses out the side of a building instead of flowing by gravity up a chimney. That was called a power vent, and I'm supposing that is the draft pipe motor you are talking about.

Power venters typically have a pressure switch that keeps the furnace off until the power vent comes up to speed and proves that the vent system is working properly. After that happens, the furnace is switched so it can turn on.

You don't want to mess around with the wiring on these kinds of systems because it could cause genuinely hazardous conditions.

So----

does this sound like the kind of system you have?

Old 01-03-10, 07:21 PM
W
I have 2 power vent motors, one on the pipe, and one in the furnace. These motors normally come on together, but now only the one on the pipe has been coming on. After turning the furnace breaker on and off (the pipe vent motor is plugged into a GFI wall plug) they will finally come on and the furnace will run thru its cycle.

Old 01-04-10, 05:16 PM
W
Well the tech showed up, after 3 hrs labor cleaning my furnace and drilling holes in the draft pipe and the pleum and telling me my Goodman was comparable to a Yugo car, he informed me the second draft blower on the wall also had a pressure switch in it, after we blew on the hose the furnace runs like a champ.

Old 01-04-10, 05:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As I explained in my earlier post, the power venter on the vent pipe has a pressure switch which will not turn on the furnace until it verifies that the venting system is working properly.

Presumably the venting system wasn't working properly, so the furnace would not turn on.

And Goodman makes good quality and definitely less expensive equipment. I'd be glad to have it in my house.

Some repairman get snooty about Goodman, preferring to install more expensive equipment. But that snobbishness is unjustified in my opinion.

Old 01-05-10, 06:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Goodman

I have no problem with Goodman equipment either. In fact, I have had one of their air conditioners in my home for almost 20years & have spent exactly ZERO dollars on repairs.
Something I have said on this & other forums hundreds of times is: I'd rather have the "cheapest" equipment installed by the best installer than the "best" equipment installed poorly.