Oil burner next to kitchen

Old 01-10-10, 02:11 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oil burner next to kitchen

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to use but we will try it. I have a set of lower kitchen cabinets that contain 4 drawers. The right side of this cabinet abuts the backside of my oil burner furnace. This has caused my wooden cabinets to become dry, very brittle and possilbly very hazardous from the heat of the burner coming through the wall. Is there a way to "insulate" or put something else in from preventing the heat of the furnace's burner from entering the area of my cabinet drawers? Sorry if this is not the correct area to post.

Old 01-10-10, 02:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Cabinets

Are you saying the cabinets contact the furnace? If so, this is a major no-no. All furnaces have specs as to how close to combustibles they can be placed.

Just re-read your post & it seems the cabinets are on the other side of the wall. If this is the case, you are going to have to open the wall, insulate, & reinstall dry wall (Type X if opening the furnace side).

Old 01-10-10, 02:31 PM
S
The cabinets are on the other side of the "wall". This is an older modular home that we purchased a few years ago... it appears that when they "re-did" the cabinets they weren't sure what to do. The wall is NOT drywall. Inthe cabinet part of the wall, it looks like wood paneling is on one side of the wall. Because of the way this is laid out, not sure how easy it will be to take apart the wall. My question here would be, on which side of the wall would the insulation go? I would guess just before "drywall" inside cabinet?

Old 01-10-10, 02:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Paneling

If the paneling is getting that warm, I suggest ripping it out & replacing with wall board (even if it is only 3/8"). You need to open the furnace side of the wall. I presume the furnace is in a closet or alcove?

Old 01-10-10, 03:49 PM
S
It is in a fully enclosed alcove. I've tried removing the side wall to try to gain access to it but all I was able to get to was the outside metal case of the furnace. The cabinet is built all the way to the wall with a 1 piece laminet counter-top on top. I'm thinking I'm going to need a few hands to do this without completly tearing up the whole cabinet and countertop. I'm some what new to this site but computer savy, how does one link some photos so you can see what the situation is?

Old 01-10-10, 03:57 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
how does one link some photos so you can see what the situation is?
http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 01-11-10, 05:46 PM
S
Sorry for the delay in response.. Here is where the photo's are:

cabinet pictures by slashman26 - Photobucket

Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

Old 01-12-10, 06:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cabinets

I'm kinda lost. I would suggest getting a local pro in to look at the furnace installation. It sounds to me like it is too close to the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: