#2 heating oil alternatives

Old 01-10-10, 03:13 PM
#2 heating oil alternatives

I ran out and suppliers were out too. One told me to use diesel and I did some research and tried it and it worked ok. What's the long term consequences if I keep using it? Someone else said i can use #2 kerosene. Can I? Researching I found out that #1 kero is same as #1 heating oil. My burner can use #1 or #2 heating oil. Whats the story with #2 kero? I also found out that diesel comes in #1 and #2, but I dont know which is which.

1-I want to be sure of what I can use as backup.

2-I want to look into alternatives, if they are cheaper. Diesel at the pump is cheaper then #2 heating oil delivered. Is pump #1 or #2 and does it matter to me?

3-A friend has 25 gallons of old #2 kero he said I can have.

beckett model AFG burner in a bryant system.

tks much, P

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-10, 06:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fuel

You can use diesel (1 or 2), kero (1 or 2). Both #1 diesel and K-1 kero have less lubrication quality than do the #2 versions. K-1 can be hard on fuel pumps but I know people who won't burn anything else. All of the above mentioned fuels will burn cleaner than #2 heating oil.

Old 01-13-10, 07:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So it might be wise to take the free 25 gallons of kerosene but dilute it in a larger tank of fuel?

I always like free if it's something I can use....

Old 01-13-10, 08:40 PM
In an emergency and wanting a better price, try the off road diesel. It doesn't have the road taxes as regular diesel, just the red dye to keep truckers from mixing it in with their road supplies.

Bud

Old 01-13-10, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
In an emergency and wanting a better price, try the off road diesel. It doesn't have the road taxes as regular diesel, just the red dye to keep truckers from mixing it in with their road supplies.

Bud
just for emergencies? Whats it used for, farm equipment?

Old 01-14-10, 05:07 AM
Group Moderator
Yep; not legal to use it for a road-use vehicle.

Old 01-14-10, 05:15 AM
Yes, farm equipment, construction equipment, home tractors, anything diesel that is not used on the road does not have to pay the road taxes, at least in my state. I pulled into the local big stop and went to fill my 5 gal can for my kubota and the previous purchase was over $500. Must have been one of those onboard tanks they use to fill other vehicles at a construction site.

Also gives a bit of a break for those who need a few gallons before the fuel oil truck arrives.

Bud