High Efficiency Venting

Old 01-13-10, 04:43 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
High Efficiency Venting

High Efficiency Venting –

The two pipes exiting my house, as I understand it, are for emitting vapors and receiving outside air. Does the pipe that emits the vapors contain a lot of toxic material?

The reason for the question is the vapors in my installation come in contact with my air conditioner unit and I was concerned that these vapors could cause deterioration of the finish on the AC. Do you think these vapors could be a long term problem for the AC finish?

I realize pipes can be directed for this to not occur, but I would rather leave them as they are, since it is a flush mounted assembly with a cover plate that looks much cleaner.

Thanks,
Jerry
1/13/10

Old 01-13-10, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Exhaust

The exhaust is going to be somewhat acidic. As much as I dislike them, I might suggest a cover for the A/C.

Old 01-13-10, 06:00 PM
J
Grady –

Thanks for the reply. Although you did not comment, I assume the recommendation of a cover implies I could see some deterioration of the finish on my A/C over time. I understand your concerns for a cover. And, I am guessing it is condensation.

The Web site has two companies that make covers (to size) for any model. They are suppose to be designed to eliminate condensation. One company keeps the height of the cover above ground to allow air to enter and the other uses flaps on the side to allow air to come through.

Have you come across these types of covers or know if they are effective for condensation issues?

Jerry

Old 01-13-10, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Condensation

You are correct in presuming my concern is for condensation. I honestly am not sure if the exhaust vapors would damage the A/C finish or not but they certainly wouldnt' do it any good. I am not familiar with the covers you mention but do strongly suggest you make sure the A/C's base pan drain holes are clear before installing any cover. I'd bet Tyvek house wrap would make a good cover.

Old 01-13-10, 06:41 PM
J
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion for Tyvek. I'll look into that.

Jerry

Old 01-14-10, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How is the pipe set up coming out of the house?

Post a photo if you can?

I don't like blowing the exhaust on the A/C itself due to frost/ice ,and it can do some damage to the coil since ice expans.

Old 01-15-10, 08:35 AM
J
There is not much to take a photo of. Basically, the two pipes are cut off flush at the exit point on the side of the house. Then a cover plate is put over the two pipes. The plate has one side open to exhaust the vapors from one pipe and the other pipe is covered by the plate. It is considered a flush type of assembly. I would assume you would have access to a picture for that type of installation.

I am thinking of a cover. The Web site I am looking at is: A/C Covers Inc. - Home of The Custom Air Conditioner Cover

Thanks for your reply.
Jerry
1/15/10

Old 01-15-10, 12:42 PM
Sounds like you have this vent like I do.

Was the system just put in?

The covers you linked us to, I'd say they are fine, it is open on the bottom to allow the system to breath in the winter.

Old 01-15-10, 12:53 PM
J
Jay -

That is exactly what I have. The system was installed in Nov. 2007. As for the cover, thanks for checking the link and indicating it is okay.

Jerry

Old 01-15-10, 06:21 PM
Glad to help out, and let us know if you need anything else.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: