insulating furnace ducts and basement

Old 01-15-10, 06:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
insulating furnace ducts and basement

I have a new natural gas Luxaire forced air furnace in unfinished basement. It was installed to the old ducts and I want to insulate the ducts to increase the efficiency. What insulation should I buy for an easy DIY project? The supply is about 2 feet by 1 foot square metal casing.

Also, do I need to insulate the return?

I also plan to insulate the basement ceiling. Is it okay to use the R30 insulation that Home depot is selling for about $16 right now? Is R30 too much or too little? And can I get a better price elsewhere?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-10, 07:39 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Insulating the ceiling will have no benefit for energy savings. Also if you use your basement insulating the duct may not be the best way to go. But If you do I would recommend R-6 duct wrap. Make sure you staple all the seams. Staple gun will cost you about $45. Box of staples about $25. Reinforced tape about $12 per roll. Insulation about $75 per roll.

Old 01-15-10, 08:00 AM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
While you are insulating the ducts, do some air sealing so your system will be better balanced with air coming and going from and to where it should.
Welcome To Home Energy Magazine Online

As for insulating the floor I agree with airman, it would be the wrong place. However, insulating around the rim of the basement ceiling and air sealing all joints and where the rim rests on the foundation is often very beneficial to reducing air leaks and heat loss. Continuing down the walls with some rigid insulation will help to keep any heat that is lost to the basement, in the basement, thus warming the floors above.
BSD-103: Understanding Basements —

Bud