Majestic Propane Direct Vent Fireplace insert

Old 01-17-10, 03:53 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Majestic Propane Direct Vent Fireplace insert

Hello.

Well I have this fireplace and havent used it much for a year or so. I had a 300lb commercial tank outside and recently switched to a 100lb tank. Not sure if this is a part of the problem, but atleast part of the story.

The Gas valve in minivolt honey well.

Anyway - since hooking up to the new tank, the pilot has been very difficult to light. It also seems that once lit the pilot light was a little larger than previous... Not positive on this though.

Initally, once lit it worked fine for a while and the main burner came on as it should when I hit my wall switch.

This led me to believe that all was ok.

A day or so later, when I turned on the wall switch again, the flames just fluttered and the main buner wouldnt light, it seemed to also drought the pilot light.

Its been sporadic since and now I can't even get me pilot lit.

- I checked and have lots of propane
- All valves etc are turned on
- I checked the wall switch and it functions as it should
- I put a jumper between th and tpth to rule out the switch problem and it seem to react approprately.
- I havent been able to get a volt reading on the thermopile or thermocoupler since the pilot is not lit now...
- To rule out o2 depletion, I opened the front glass, and tried to ignite the pilot manually. No go.
- I tried to light manually, but the igniter is firing well and directed at the pilot...
- The pilot assembly seems clean of debris from what I can ascertain

Any suggestions. It seems to be either no getting enough propane, or to much wind from the direct vent, or the gas valve is faulty....

The thermopile and thermocoupler seemed to work fine previously - so I was assuming they might be ok...

thanks .

Old 01-17-10, 05:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by berniebb
it seemed to also drought the pilot light.

You'll have to try again on this comment.

I'd say that you aren't getting a good gas supply, since both the main burner and pilot aren't working. Do you have other propane appliances, and if so are they working properly?

From what you say, you apparently took off the fireplace glass, pushed down on the gas valve and tried to light the pilot with a match, but it wouldn't light.

Again, that suggests no gas supply. If you hold a match to the pilot burner and push down on the valve you should be able to see the flame being blown around by the gas even if it wont light.

Old 01-17-10, 05:46 PM
B
pilot light

The "drought the pilot light sentence" was supposed to say.....

Initially the pilot light was running fine. When I turned on the wall switch to activate the main burner, the main burner flames just fluttered and failed to light. Along with this, the pilot light fluttered and eventually went out....

Yes - As you say, I removed the glass, pushed down on the gas valve and tried to light with a match. Tried a number of times with no luck.

Just curious on the fact that the problem is intermittent. It has worked a couple times, but now I can't get ignition at all. Even with the match.

Could it be the regulator on the tank?

Old 01-17-10, 05:49 PM
B
pilot light

Also - this is my only propane appliance.

I have alot of wind on the vent today, so I couldn't tell if the match flame ( actually barbeque lighter - good flame) was being blown by wind or by propane.

I actually never would of guessed that propane would blow an ingition source and not ... well ignite it?

Old 01-17-10, 06:47 PM
There are conditions where that might happen ---- though probably not in your case.

But if you get no indication of gas blowing, it suggests that you might have a gas pressure/supply problem.

Since you don't have other gas appliances to verify the gas supply, you can consider shutting off the manual shutoff valve for the fireplace, disconnecting the gas piping at a flex connector or union, and turning the manual gas valve on briefly to see if you've got a gas supply.

Old 01-18-10, 05:50 PM
B
possible solution

Because I had the regular disconnected from the old tank for an extended period, it was suggested that some water got into the regulator and now freezes when temp drops.

That would explain the intermitten aspect of the problem.

I poured some hot water over the regulator and low and behold the pilot lit and so did the main burner.

It didn't last long though as its quite cold and likely froze up quickly.

Need to get some methanol or something similar and attempt to clear the moisture from the regulator.

Lets hope it works.

thanks

Old 01-21-10, 11:19 AM
B
Pilot Light

Ok - this seemed to fix the problem. I removed the regulator, rinsed with methyl hydrate and let dry overnight.

Seems to be behaving normally now.

One last question. The pilot light seems a little big, like an inch past the thermo sensors. On the Honeywell burner, there is a screw on the bottom right with the words "Pilot Adj" stenciled alongside... Sounds straight forward...

Anyway I turned the screw both directions and see no change in the amount of fuel / size of the pilot light.

any ideas?

thanks.

bb

Old 01-21-10, 01:14 PM
Screw it in clockwise until the pilot burner input is reduced.

It's a needle valve that may take several turns before it starts interrupting the gas flow. Don't cut it down too much, though. If you have a pilot generator system it takes a decent sized flame to generate enough electricity to operate the gas valve.

Old 01-28-10, 04:20 PM
B
SAme issue

Well well...

Thought I had it fixed .... but

Now the pilot light stays lit, with lots of propane supplyign the pilot..

SOmetimes (and only infrequently), I turn on the main burner, and the flame sputters low and blue and doesn't light...

If I kept the switch on (providing fuel to the main burner), and it doesnt light, it eventually extinguishes the pilot as well.

The pilot is easily relit though...

Anyway it only happens occasiaonally? Wonder if its a wonky thermocoupler?

thanks.

Old 01-28-10, 05:09 PM
Again that sounds like an inadequate gas supply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: