Olsen Duomatic Ultramax Gas Furnace (circa 1988) - upgrade fan/blower?

Old 01-30-10, 08:23 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Olsen Duomatic Ultramax Gas Furnace (circa 1988) - upgrade fan/blower?

I have a Olsen Duomatic Ultramax Gas Furnace (circa 1988) - Can I upgrade the fan/blower to a larger unit? I'm finding that the heat/ac doesn't make it up to the second floor very well. I'm not sure if that's just a function of the furnace's age, number of registers on the second floor, both?

I thought if the blower was upgraded to something larger, the air would make it up to the second floor.

I've tried closing registers on the lower levels but I don't seem to get much air upstairs.

Any ideas?

Old 01-30-10, 08:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The most likely problem is that the fan motor isn't set properly or the ductwork is improperly sized. You need a repairman who can analyzae the problem and determine the best way to solve it.

This would involve checking the BTU input of the furnace, the heat rise across the input and output of the furnace and the static pressure of the furnace. You need someone who can test those conditions and understand what they should be and how they relate to each other.

Probably not a DIY job. Indeed, you need to look for a highly competent repairman to analyze the problem, in my view.

Old 01-31-10, 01:10 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I agree that it is more likely a duct design problem than anything. I also think that at 20+ years of age you should be thinking about replacing that furnace rather than dropping big bucks into modifying it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: