Trane XB LED blinks 5 times and blower won't stop but no heat

Old 01-31-10, 12:22 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane XB LED blinks 5 times and blower won't stop but no heat

Problem: Trane XB LED blinks 5 times and blower won't stop running, but no heat.

Any ideas what the problem is? I am thinking some kind of fan control board. I can shut off power to the whole unit, but when I power back on I get the same problem. Blower runs with no heat. The thermostat can be set to "heat" or "off" but the blower still runs. The blower is in "auto." I tried resetting the ICM, but it did not fix it. This unit is only a few years old - maybe 2006. Please help! It's cold outside!!

Old 01-31-10, 01:24 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Did you actually try to reset by turning off the furnace switch or breaker?

Can't imagine fan timer could prevent burner function without another cause.

Check to see if you have say small 3 amp fuse on your control board, and if so if that burned out.

Check to see if you have any small resettable pin located on coin-size switches that have a couple wires going to them, for flame roll-out and/or limit switches. If you find such a pin between the two wires, press in and see if you hear/feel a little click, which means it was tripped if you do.

All my information so far is generic, and may or may not apply to your specific furnace.

If any of these are not it, let us know about the mentioned way to reset, if that helped. Then also if you have a voltmeter.

5 blink code on furnace likely could be found on web search. I'd do it, but my computer locks up when I go to search engine.

Old 01-31-10, 02:03 PM
M
I tried resetting and also checked the fuse, but it looked ok. I couldn't find any additional switches. After I reset the power, the blower comes right on after a few seconds and the led starts flashing. The thermostat is working (I just replaced the batteries) basically doesn't do anything to help. The manual says the 5-blink error means its "flame sensed when no flame should be present." I don't think a flame is present. I checked the flame sensor visually - it looks OK and I wouldn't think this would be a high failure part. There is a master circuit board - should I just replace it?

Old 01-31-10, 03:21 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do you have a voltmeter to test with if we tell you what to test?

And do you have a 2 wire or is it instead a 3 wire pressure switch? The inducer fan never comes on, right, when you have this lockout problem?

And can you actually tell us what kind of ignitor you have?, such as a sparker that lights a pilot, or a glow coil that lights the burners?

Old 01-31-10, 04:45 PM
M
Yes, I do have a voltmeter. It is model tuc1b060a9361ab. There are 3 wires to the pressure switch but 2 of them are yellow going to the same terminal. The blower comes on immediately when I reset the power. There's no way to turn it off except cutting the power. I am not sure exactly what the ignitor is, but it lights automatically. There is no manual pilot light.

Old 02-01-10, 11:11 AM
M
I went ahead and replaced the board and viola, success! They say the error 5 is a common catch-all error when the control board freaks out. Thanks for your advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: