Electric Bill Through the Roof - TH8320 and Gas/Heat Pump

Old 02-02-10, 04:15 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Electric Bill Through the Roof - TH8320 and Gas/Heat Pump

I just recently purchased two Honeywell TH8320 thermostats for a house my wife and I just recently moved into. After install I thought everything was working great, but my last two electric bills have been ridiculously high. I have a gas furnace so I found this really strange. The furnace is a GMP100-5 (propane) and I have a Goodman split system heat pump. One unit runs the first floor and basement, while the other runs the 2nd floor. The attic furnace (heats 2nd floor) is Goodman model AR42-1.

The thermostat had been on the factory settings. Thinking that was my problem, last night I tried to play around with the settings in the advanced setup. I awoke to a VERY cold house. I just did a reset on the thermostat to get it back to the original settings.

The wiring on the both thermostats is as follows. There are orange and black wires too, but those are not hooked up.

RC/R-jumper (from factory)
R-red
W-white
Y-yellow
G-green
C-blue

Can anyone help me with the advanced settings for the thermostat or tell me what else might be wrong? Do I need to have 170 set to 7? 180 set to 0? Thanks in advance – I really need the help.

Last edited by ZMonet; 02-02-10 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-02-10, 05:46 AM
Z
A little more info. It looks like I messed things up and have everything wired to CONVENTIONAL. I'm not sure why the system even works or why it is working? I need some help with the wiring, if anyone can help. The downstairs thermostat (basement/1st floor heating) did not have the black and orange wires hooked up on the original thermostat. The upstairs did(picture below). I apologize for the lack of focus on the images but that was the best I could do.

WIRING BEFORE

WIRING NOW

Last edited by ZMonet; 02-02-10 at 06:13 AM. Reason: adjust picture size
Old 02-02-10, 10:08 AM
Z
Update

I have UNIT #1 set as follows. These are all the wires that were connected to the last thermostat. There is a brown, black and orange wire that weren't connected but accessible.

R-red
O/B-white
Y-Yellow
G-green
C-blue

170 is set to 1. If I set it to 7, the gas doesn't turn on.

On UNIT #2 have the following:

R-red
O/B-orange
Y-Yellow
G-green
C-blue
Aux-white
E-black

This is now the same as what was connected on the old thermostat (I previously didn't have the black and orange hooked up). I see that if I raise the temp. two degrees, auxiliary mode comes on. Is this normal? I've set 170 to 7 on this unit.

Does any of this sound right or am I totally lost? I feel like the latter. Would any of this caused my issue with my high electric bill?

I have HVAC people coming to look at it on Friday, despite the $350 price tag, but would like to get it fixed before then.

Old 02-03-10, 04:55 AM
Z
Since my house is heating, let me ask my question a different way. For a liquid propane system, is there any way I could incorrectly hook up the thermostat that would make it so that my heating bill would double? It went from $350/month to around $700/month.

Old 02-03-10, 05:12 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First, make sure someone did not misread the meter. Most meters today are digital, but if you still have the old analog, they get misread once in a while. Go out there and compare the last meter read on your bill, to what you read right now, and see if something would be amiss.

Secondly, with any kind of gas furnace, the only things affecting electric are the inducer and blower motors. No way is this causing your big increase.

Lastly, we are down to the heat pump. If due to either extreme cold, outside the range of the heat pump, or malfuntion with the heat pump, or miswired at stat.... bypassing the heat pump to run - and instead, auxilary electric elements will come on and do the heating. That likely is the reason for the big jump, if not a meter misread.

I'll throw one more odd one out there. That would be due to either a wiring short or miswirng or a bad reversing valve, that the heat pump is putting out a/c, rather than heat. But something like this would be hard to go unnoticed if there are separate ducts for each heating system.

It's probably due to electric auxillary elements running. You could open up your inside-the-house heat pump unit and see if you see the elements glowing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: