What does it mean when I have no register in the upstairs bath?


  #1  
Old 02-03-10, 11:18 PM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 42
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What does it mean when I have no register in the upstairs bath?

I just moved into my new home a few months ago. Aside from the finished basement that had uneven walls, something that struck me as odd is that my upstairs bathroom has no a/c register. Is this a common thing to not install one in there?
 
  #2  
Old 02-04-10, 05:30 AM
airman.1994's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 5,491
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
No it should have a vent. Call builder and have them install one.
 
  #3  
Old 02-04-10, 06:46 AM
Beachboy's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast Kansas
Posts: 704
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you mean a return air register, then NO, bathrooms generally do not have return air registers installed. But yes, it should have a supply register.

You mention the lack of an a/c register. Is your heat not forced air also? It's possible the supply register was installed, but the flooring installer covered it up with flooring.
 
  #4  
Old 02-04-10, 12:59 PM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 42
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachboy
If you mean a return air register, then NO, bathrooms generally do not have return air registers installed. But yes, it should have a supply register.

You mention the lack of an a/c register. Is your heat not forced air also? It's possible the supply register was installed, but the flooring installer covered it up with flooring.
yes i meant it has ac + heat. It is possible it is covered. I have a newer pergo type floor or laminate flooring in the bathroom. Looks like a DIY project gone wrong. I am guessing the original home owner had the original floor flooded because in the basement there are water spots on the ductwork right under the bathroom. Is there anyway to prod around to see where it could be under the floor without tearing up laminate?

Thanks
 
  #5  
Old 02-04-10, 04:16 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,826
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sometimes they had the heat duct under a vanity and have the register mounted on the toekick. If bathroom is above the basement, are you sure no duct heads up that way? Then you would know if it got covered and not just guessing. Can I presume the furnace is in the basement?

Well, after reading previous post, you say the ductwork is there under the bathroom. But does it go upward into the bathroom, without being terminated? That's the question. If it goes up there, why is it you can not locate where it should be?
 
  #6  
Old 02-04-10, 04:23 PM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 42
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ecman51`
Sometimes they had the heat duct under a vanity and have the register mounted on the toekick. If bathroom is above the basement, are you sure no duct heads up that way? Then you would know if it got covered and not just guessing. Can I presume the furnace is in the basement?
I have a two story home so I would not be able to trace the duct because I can't see whats going on from the first floor to the second. I am not sure there is a duct going up but I do see that the return air runs up the middle of the home. I know this runs all the way up. The furnace is in the middle of the basement where the return air goes all the way up.
 
  #7  
Old 02-04-10, 05:48 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,826
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
So the bathroom is on the 2nd floor I take it. In an earlier post you said the basement, then the upstairs. I presumed upstairs was 1st floor. Unless you had a bathtub wall access and were to get lucky as to what you see down a joist cavity with light and mirror.

Yeah, that makes things harder to tell. Is there another bathroom directly below the 2nd floor bathroom? If so, is there a heat register in it?

Is there a new vanity in that bathroom up there? If so, feel the bottom/side of it to see if it gets warm when furnace runs. Also feel around on the floor. If wall registers below, then also feel the walls.
 
  #8  
Old 02-04-10, 07:05 PM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 42
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ecman51`
So the bathroom is on the 2nd floor I take it. In an earlier post you said the basement, then the upstairs. I presumed upstairs was 1st floor. Unless you had a bathtub wall access and were to get lucky as to what you see down a joist cavity with light and mirror.

Yeah, that makes things harder to tell. Is there another bathroom directly below the 2nd floor bathroom? If so, is there a heat register in it?

Is there a new vanity in that bathroom up there? If so, feel the bottom/side of it to see if it gets warm when furnace runs. Also feel around on the floor. If wall registers below, then also feel the walls.
It's a two story home with a basement. The furnace is in the basement in the middle of the home. The return air goes straight down from the second story through one return air handler duct.

I tried feeling for any heat in the floor where a register might be but i couldnt find any. The only place where there could be a register is on the far wall towards the inside next to the return air handler. The vanity is not new. It was the original. I see no register under the kick plate at all.

Well at least I acomplished something. I cleaned the vent in the bathroom. That took about 5 minutes.
 
  #9  
Old 02-04-10, 07:13 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 29,711
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Well if you have a radio and a stethoscope you could put a radio in a second floor register near the bathroom and listen at the bathroom floor. Nothing I ever tried just a guess. You can get cheap infrared electronic thermometers. Maybe with the heat turned up that would show a hot spot. Just another guess at what to try.
 
  #10  
Old 02-05-10, 06:57 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,826
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ralph_T
Well at least I acomplished something. I cleaned the vent in the bathroom. That took about 5 minutes.
What kind of vent is that?

Ray,

Some good thinking, outside the box.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: