Leaky furnace (video included)

Old 02-07-10, 07:35 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaky furnace (video included)

Hey Everybody--this forum looks like a great resource. Wish I would have found it sooner!

Anyways, I'm a new homeowner and I have a leaky furnace. I first thought it was the condensate line but I don't believe that to be the case.

I opened it up and could see the drip which as far as I can tell, only occurs when the fan is off.

I believe this furnace was new when I bought the house last May.

Here is a youtube video of what is going on:

YouTube - video-2010-02-07-08-53-26

Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks a bunch everybody.

Tony

Old 02-07-10, 08:20 AM
E
Hard to tell where it is leaking from, but you have a 90 plus furnace where the suction of the fan keeps the water at bay until its turned off and thats why it leaks when the motor is off. But I can't tell where its leaking from. I'm sure you can see it and maybe its just one of the hoses are loose.

Old 02-07-10, 09:35 AM
You may have a rotted out secondary heat exchanger. Those Carrier and Bryant furnaces are well known for secondary leaks. There are manufacturer programs available for replacement. Sometimes for free.

Old 02-07-10, 09:41 AM
S
Skip - Do you think it is possible that it rotted out being a year (18 months) old?

ender - Do you know what possibly could be even leaking? I don't believe that I have a humidifier connected to my furnace (I couldn't find a water line going to it). Could it be the air intake from outside?

Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate the help.

Tony

Old 02-07-10, 10:26 AM
If you brought the house new in May, It should be under waranity. Call the dealer who put it in.

Old 02-07-10, 11:26 AM
S
Thanks a bunch, Jay, Skip and ender. I appreciate the help!

Tony

Old 02-07-10, 01:26 PM
S
The corrugated hose that connects to the collector box behind the inducer motor might not be on properly, or the collector box may not be screwed on properly forming a leak.

Either way this is beyond a DIY Job, I'd call in a professional. Especially if the leak is coming from the secondary heat exchanger, all of the problems that it could be require you to remove the inducer motor and possibly dis-assemble half of the furnace.

Old 02-08-10, 02:23 PM
E
All those black hoses you see carry water, just check for leaks there and the pvc tube coming out of the furnace, check to see if water is dripping. is this the first winter the unit has been through? maybe the pvc lines are too small? 3" is good on longer lines and 2" works well for shorter lines. shorter being under 25 feet

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: