honeywell mini zone and generator power

Old 02-13-10, 12:15 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
honeywell mini zone and generator power

I have a 6 year old comfortmaker gas furnace and a/c system.
It has a Honeywell mini zone on top of the furnace, I am assuming this is the controller. It appears to be microprocessor controlled. I have read about furnaces not working properly or not working at all when using dirty generator power.

Has anyone had success in using a good portable generator like a honda or honeywell which produces clean power to run their furnace? I am looking to purchase a new portable but I don't want to buy one if it's not going to run the furnace. thanks

Old 02-13-10, 02:03 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I have a Yamaha 3000ise inverter generator and it runs my furnace (Lennox G-60) just fine. I think any of the inverter type generators will do just fine.

Old 02-13-10, 02:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
One thing I'd pay close attention to with a generator is to be sure that exhaust gasses don't blow up against the side of a dwelling.

My experience is investigating carbon monoxide complaints for a utility is thatyou need to take particular care to avoid that. Buildings are quite susceptible to being infiltrated by CO over time. That can be a definite hazard.

Old 02-13-10, 03:03 PM
F
Absolutely correct, the generator should be positioned so that the prevailing winds blow the exhaust away from the building.

There are also several issues on how to connect the generator electrically that need to be observed.

Old 02-13-10, 05:08 PM
S
thanks for the replies---I have a transfer switch and I have a pad outside next to the garage where I put my current portable. My set up is fine. I am just concerned about burning up the control board on the furnace.

furd, what type of controller is on your Lennox?

I know the smaller inverters are super clean. I was wondering about the larger models that say they are electronic friendly. they have automatic voltage regulators built in and some of them have electronic idle. I beleive it's the motor idle that causes the fluctuation in HZ. Briggs makes a10kw generator that has both electronic idle and AVR, but it's a little bit more than I wanted to spend. They sell an 8kw model but it does not have the electronic idle control, only the AVR.

Honeywell and Honda make models that are larger and are supposed to be good. I just don't want to spend the money and not have it do what I want.

Old 02-14-10, 02:43 PM
F
I don't off hand know what the model number of my furnace is other than a G60 counterflow (downflow) with two-stage burner and the variable speed blower. I think it is the variable speed blower that is the critical factor.

I asked a furnace repairman just how critical power quality from a portable generator was in regard to circuit board failure and he told me that in his experience it was low voltage and not power quality that killed the circuit boards.

(See also my reply to your question in the electrical forum.)

Old 02-14-10, 06:23 PM
S
thanks Furd--if your HVAC repairman is correct then a generator with an automatic voltage control should keep the voltage steady enough. The idle or RPM control is what makes the HZ fluctuate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: