Under slab ducts - causing moisture problem?

Old 02-16-10, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Under slab ducts - causing moisture problem?

I started in another thread regarding excessive moisture in my home in the middle of winter. The suggestions there were that I may have a problem in my ducts.

This is the first winter in the house and the humidity is really high. We checked out our ducts ourselves with a drop light and mirror and saw no problems. No cracks/breaks/moisture.

If I hire someone to do an inspection, first of all, what kind of contractor does that? I had originally tried looking for a duct inspector but came up with nothing. Which is why we came up with a way to look ourselves. I really want to figure out our moisture problem before next winter so we don't have to deal with the problems again.

If there are problems how do I address them?

Old 02-16-10, 07:55 PM
This was my original post in the other thread.

First of all, hi, I'm new to the forum as far as posting but I've read many of the posts and have seen some very helpful information on here. Hoping someone can help me out.

We bought our house at the end of summer last year (west suburb of Chicago). It is a slab home with no crawl or basement.

Our home inspector found things we needed to fix and we've addressed a few of them already. Before we actually moved in to the house we actually had more insulation added to our attic at our home inspectors recommendation. We also had all of our vents (bathrooms & kitchen) extended to the roof. They had stopped in the attic prior to fixing this. We moved in October 1 and probably started using the furnace late October early November. That is when I started noticing our humidity problem. First thing I did was check our furnace to see if there was a whole home humidifier installed that was set too high. There is NO WHOLE HOME HUMIDIFIER.

To help control the humidity levels in the house I bought a dehumidifier in December. It runs 24/7 and only turns off when the tank is full. With the dehumidifier running the house averages 50 to 55% RH. Occasionally drops to 40% but never stays there.

The humidity problem concerned me enough that I just recently had an energy audit in January. The energy audit discovered that we do indeed have a drafty house. While there the energy auditors could come up with no reasonable explanation as to the high RH. They suggested we check our ductwork for cracks/breaks/moisture and we did. Our ducts are fine, no cracks or moisture in them. They also suggested we test for vapor coming up through the slab by taping 6" square plastic around the house. We did that, let them sit for a week and there was no condensation on the plastic.

We also have an addition on the house that was not connected to the ductwork (i.e. no heat in that room) - whoever had the addition put on relied on the existing vent that is in the kitchen to heat the addition as well as the kitchen area. So we thought perhaps the cold of the addition was condensing in the rest of the house causing our humidity problem. So we just installed a heated ceiling fan to give a source of heat to that room. It's only been installed for a couple of days but I'm beginning to lose hope. The dehumidifier still has not turned off and the humidity reading in the house is still averaging 50%.

Old 02-16-10, 09:24 PM
try sealing your windows with shrink film its pretty cheap stuff and should help a little bit anyways

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: