Choosing a wood furnace

Old 03-01-10, 06:26 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Choosing a wood furnace

I am looking for comments on Fire Chief wood furnaces. I have been doing a little research but finding little in the way of reviews. The models I am considering are FC300 & FC500

Any comments appreciated Thank You

Old 03-01-10, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I have been doing a great amount of research on add on wood furnaces. Although not getting much as far a reviews but one thing I have learned is a coal/wood one will last longer because coal burns hotter. (info I got from a fireplace dealer) I have not seen Fire Chief at any stores around me. Where are you looking? L&M?

From what I have found, they are all fairly close to the same other than what features they have. Auto dampers, induced draft, thermostat controlled. Also look at steel thickness, and warranty.

Old 03-02-10, 03:32 PM
L
Yes, L&M is the dealer I found and will be getting there this weekend to check it out in person. Thanks

Old 03-03-10, 05:20 PM
L
Look into something with secondary combustion. You will have a cleaner chimney, burn less wood and get more heat. We upgraded from an old usstove wood furnace to a EPA Certified Caddy woodfurnace. Its an advanced secondary combustion furnace, which also qualifies for the tax credit. We so far have burned at least 2 cords less compared to last year and its been worse this year. We also haven't had to sweep the chimney all season. We get overnight burns on half the wood compared to the old furnace. There are alot of furnaces out there. Firecheifs are nice, but not the most efficient furnaces out there with a basic design. Some other efficient furnaces are the Blaze King catalytic furnace, Kuuma Fire, Energy King 385ek all which qualify for the tax credit. Just something to think about. After upgrading, I will never go back to a standard wood furnace again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: