Furnace burner lights and goes out

Old 03-03-10, 10:52 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace burner lights and goes out

I have a Rheem RGUJ 07EA GR horizontal furnace in my attic (propane). I think it's about 15 years old. When I call for heat by turning the thermostat up until it clicks, I see the hot surface igniter glow (about 20-30 seconds), then the main gas valve turns on and the main burner lights. In 5 to 20 seconds it shuts off. Sometimes this cycle repeats. Sometimes it will stay on and the blower comes on and everything is fine. Most of the time no joy.

I was assuming the fame sensor was dirty or defective. I cannot locate a typical flame sensor. Someone told me the HSI may be the flame sensor also. I think the ignitor module is a Honeywell S89J. I'm thinking of replacing the HSI. Since it does light the burner, does this make sense?

Old 03-03-10, 12:48 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes that makes sense. Because it can be true.

If you have a volt-ohm meter, you coud do an ohms test on the two wires serving the HSI. Or you could remove it and inspect for a whitish powdery track across the coil, indicating the spot it is getting ready to burn in half at.

Old 03-23-10, 12:03 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Issue much better now

I did, in fact, replace the HSI ($70). When I first tested everything worked as expected. But the next morning (when it was much colder) it seemed to exhibit the same old problem. Later that day my wife called to say it was fixed and everything was back to normal. It's been running about 2 weeks now, but I haven't been able to track how often it tries before it stays on. At least we have heat now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: