60 Hz hum coming from working furnace blower

Old 03-04-10, 07:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
60 Hz hum coming from working furnace blower

My wife and I just bought a house that was built in 1983. It has an original Magic Chef 40,000 BTU forced air gas furnace that has a blower motor that has a 60 Hz hum when its on. The way the builder constructed the enclosure of the heater seems to amplify the hum - its like a piano sound board. If I press on certain parts of the drywall around the heater, the humming gets louder. The furnace enclosure is in our living room, so its pretty annoying. Everything works fine on the furnace. How can I reduce or eliminate the hum? Do I need to buy a new blower motor? Is there any sound dampening material I can install to reduce the noise?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-10, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by electricguy482 View Post
My wife and I just bought a house that was built in 1983.
I think you first need to determine major part of the sound, may be one or two pieces metal sheet vibrate and you need to tighten them. If it is due to weak or wrong construction, you can add enhance its structure by screws metal or wood (not in hot area of course) to reduce the sound.
after all, it may also come from unbalanced feet, and you can adjust or add rubber pads under them - HD sells thick pads at washer dept.
If it touches walls you need to move it a bit.

Old 03-16-10, 03:57 PM
Good ideas...i especially like the one about the rubber pad. The entire furnace appears to be bolted to a raised plywood 'floor'. If I put a rubber pad between the furnace and the floor, I'll bet a lot of my noise will go away. I'll post again when i get a chance to do this. Thanks again.