Problem with 10yr old Day & Night gas furnace: intermittent start

Old 03-06-10, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with 10yr old Day & Night gas furnace: intermittent start

Once our furnace gets going, it works well. However, about 3o to 4O % of the time, the wheel starts spinning, the gas flame starts, and then the gas flame immediately stops. The process starts again 1O-15 seconds later, and then it usually works fine. Had someone come out, they blamed the circuit board, and wanted 6OO$ to replace it. What do y'all think?

If it is the board, could I find one and replace it myself?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-10, 12:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does this furnace have an inducer motor that starts up (the wheel?) then a hot surface ignitor that glows white hot after 20-30 seconds, followed by the gas lighting and then shutting off after 3 seconds or so?

Old 03-06-10, 01:30 PM
Besides answering SP's questions, I wouldn't have that furnace guy back if I were you. $600. That's ridiculous. Not only that, he might even know full well that might not even be what ails it. He may do something else while you aren't looking, to cause it to actually work.

Old 03-06-10, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer View Post
Does this furnace have an inducer motor that starts up (the wheel?) then a hot surface ignitor that glows white hot after 20-30 seconds, followed by the gas lighting and then shutting off after 3 seconds or so?
Yep, exactly.

Buffer to fulfill 25 character minimum :-)

Old 03-06-10, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Besides answering SP's questions, I wouldn't have that furnace guy back if I were you. $600. That's ridiculous. Not only that, he might even know full well that might not even be what ails it. He may do something else while you aren't looking, to cause it to actually work.
Noted, thanks for the advice. We found him on yelp, but otherwise don't know him from Adam.

Old 03-06-10, 06:24 PM
yelp = yellow pages, I presume.

Does he work for a large company with full page ad, or was he a one line listing that looked like he worked out of his house?

The last inducer I did recently on a Ruud only took me minutes to get out. Minutes. I even took the thing apart to repair it. New one would have (only) cost $202, including tax. That is a far cry from $600, even if a person taked on another $100 for labor. Another recent one was on a Heil. That took some more minutes, but still, only minutes - like 15.

Old 03-06-10, 08:04 PM
It sounds like the flame sensor is dirty and needs to be cleaned. The flame sensor can get covered with invisible oxides that prevent the flame from touching the metal of the flame sensor.

The flame sensor is usually on the opposite side of the burners from the HSI. It's a rod sticking up into the flames with a single wire coming out the bottom and going back to the circuit board.

Remove the flame sensor and clean it with a wire brush or some fine sandpaper --- it doesn't take much, and you don't need to cut into the metal.

Reinstall and try again.

Old 03-06-10, 08:20 PM
Excellent! I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer View Post
It sounds like the flame sensor is dirty and needs to be cleaned. The flame sensor can get covered with invisible oxides that prevent the flame from touching the metal of the flame sensor.

The flame sensor is usually on the opposite side of the burners from the HSI. It's a rod sticking up into the flames with a single wire coming out the bottom and going back to the circuit board.

Remove the flame sensor and clean it with a wire brush or some fine sandpaper --- it doesn't take much, and you don't need to cut into the metal.

Reinstall and try again.