Honeywell VS820 pilot not working

Old 03-22-10, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell VS820 pilot not working

Hi,

I have a HbSmith G200 series boiler for my baseboard heating system divided into 3 zones. The boiler is powered by a Honeywell VS820 series regulator/pilot.

The basement was flooded, and the pilot does not light anymore after the water has been removed. The pilot was partially submerged when the boiler was running (the sump pump was dead).

I got a 500 dollars estimate from the "technician" who wanted to remove the pilot.

I want to make sure the pilot is dead. Anyone with any experience in troubleshooting a VS820 pilot? I do not have a repair manual...

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-10, 10:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The Honeywell VS 820 is a millivolt combination gas valve:

Honeywell VS820 A1047 Combination Gas Valve

If the gas valve was submerged, the manufacturer recommends replacing it. Unfortunately, it was never designed as a U-Boat!

If it didn't get wet and it was only the pilot burner that got flooded, that can be cleaned and replaced. It wasn't designed as a U-Boat either, but it's a lot simpler and cleaning and perhaps replacing the pilot orifice should be fine. A repairman might reasonably have a bias towards replacing the pilot generator if it got wet too (it's on the pilot burner as well), but the old one might work if it's now dry.

Old 03-22-10, 10:34 AM
Thanks, but that didn't help.

A lot of things are not designed to be U-boats, which includes my cell phone. However, the cell phone is working after the pool water was removed. Of course, the manufacturer is going to recommend replacement - classical self-serving recommendation.

I want to test the connections and the output voltages, before I surrender to consumerism.

Anyone?

Old 03-22-10, 10:38 AM
Did the gas valve get submerged or just the pilot burner?

Old 03-22-10, 10:48 AM
both..

Both...I am not completely sure because it didn't happen when I was there, but based on the existing level marks, it appears that both were submerged.

Old 03-22-10, 11:13 AM
You should replace the valve. The valve does a variety of things and there is no reason to suppose it will work properly if it's been submerged. Suppose the regulator sticks open and allows gas to be applied at 2-3 times the designed for pressure, or the gas valve sticks open and doesn't shut off?

There are good reasons for replacing the valve.

Old 03-22-10, 11:36 AM
Okay..

I see.

I am assuming the boiler is okay, but there is no way to check because the valve is non-operational....any thoughts?