I'm cold. Beckett is acting up.

Old 03-28-10, 03:34 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm cold. Beckett is acting up.

Hello. First off I'm cold. The woman is cold. The dog is cold.
So I hope you'll forgive me for not making a proper introduction thread if it is required.
I stumbled upon the site while searching for a means to test my magic eye (cad cell) but it ended up being a way to test a k type thermocouple.

I have a Beckett burner with a Webster pump. I have a Honeywell R8184 G4009 and a Carlin ignitor in a Burnham firebox.

The furnace kicked out on me last night and I spent the better part of the day working on it today.

The relay tripped around 11pm. I pushed the rest and the pump whirred to life but there was no fire.

I'll start in order:
I have fuel.
I replaced the fuel filter.
I replaced the nozzle (I took out a .85 so I put a .85 back in there*.)
I verified the checkvalve still works.
I blew down the line from the filter to the pump.
I bled the system and have pressure at the nozzle.
I wire brushed the electrodes and set them to the specs listed on Beckett's website.
I wiped any carbon/soot off of the magic eye.
I have a bright blue spark with purple arcs to the electrodes.

Afterwards it ran for about 20 minutes. I was able to take a hot shower to get the smell of #2 off of me and the house came up from 50 to 52degrees and then it kicked off again.
I pushed the reset again and there was a fire in the box. It seemed to dwindle a bit though to what I could best describe as licks of flame and not a fire. I hit the reset again and nothing happened. This is when I took the electrodes out and adjusted them to the specs on Beckett's website. It fired up, ran a bit, and tripped again. I pushed the reset and it ran with a fire, but tripped again even though there was still a fire burning in the box. The 3rd time I didn't even get a fire.

Lowes and the Depot don't have a cad cell (what I've been calling the magic eye) so I ordered one, should be here on Monday (Tuesday at the latest). Typically shotgunning money at a project isn't my style but from what I've gathered and what I'm capable of I'm going to say it's the magic eye.

*The firebox has .9gph stamped into the data tag but when I was on Beckett's site I saw that it's based on fuel pressure too. I don't know what my Webster's fuel pressure is running at. I took out a .85, I put a .85 back in.

Have I gone down the right path? Is there a way to test the cad cell or anything I might be missing?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Edit: Even now if I hit the reset I don't get any fire in the box.

--Steve

Last edited by Paraquat; 03-28-10 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-28-10, 04:20 PM
P
Going back and reading the sticky I found a page of information that is helpful while posting.
1. In which area you live and ambient temperatures you usually experience.
-10 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Connecticut, United States

2. House style and construction details.
1965 single floor ranch

3. Make, model and age of equipment related to the problem.
Everything was installed in 1991.

4. Fuel type.
#2 fuel oil

5. Water temperature and pressures of boiler systems.
I think it's around 160 or 180 degrees? I don't recall. 17 PSI

6. What type of zoning do you have with your boiler system.
single zone baseboard heater

7. Thermostat type.
It's an old school heat-only round Honeywell thermostat. Also a Honeywell aquastat.

8. Anything else that would be useful. No detail is to small. The more information you provide the easier it becomes for the professionals in this forum to determined the cause and correction to the problem.
I've posted all I can up there.

--Steve

Old 03-28-10, 04:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paraquat
I pushed the reset again and there was a fire in the box. It seemed to dwindle a bit though to what I could best describe as licks of flame and not a fire. I hit the reset again and nothing happened. This is when I took the electrodes out and adjusted them to the specs on Beckett's website. It fired up, ran a bit, and tripped again. I pushed the reset and it ran with a fire, but tripped again even though there was still a fire burning in the box. The 3rd time I didn't even get a fire.

I'm no oil Xpert, so don't mind me. Could be a lack of fuel due to dirty oil plugging up the nozzle or something similar. Lack of adequate oil pressure, possibly (although I'd rule out fuel problems first).

When was the last time you had fuel delivered?

I's try removing and cleaning the nozzle to check on it's condition and to see if the burner fires up once it's been cleaned.

Old 03-28-10, 06:37 PM
P
Fuel was last delivered on 3/12 which is why I did both the filter and nozzle. I figured they stirred up some funk when they filled it.

I followed the link for oil burner suggestions on that sticky and I degreased the electrodes and the sheet metal fan on the end of the air tube.

I had a backup nozzle and filter so I put the backup nozzle in for the helluvit.

The furnace ran to 180 degrees (water temperature) and brought the house up to 58 while the thermostat was set at 60. I turned the thermostat down and then back up and I can hear the relay clicking but the furnace wasn't coming back on. The relay wasn't tripped but I think that's the high limit on the aquastat.

My only theory is that when I blew down the pipe I loosened some funk and afterwards when I put the new nozzle in and bled the fuel line I must've dislodged it and clogged the nozzle? Or that I had sparkleak because the electrodes had some oil on them? Either way it's warm in here for now. I'll post tomorrow with a status update.

--Steve

Old 03-29-10, 03:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Nozzle?

It is entirely possible you fouled the new nozzle. It's always a good idea to, after replacing the filter, to run about 30 seconds of oil thru the pump & nozzle assembly (less nozzle) into a container THEN install the new nozzle. An alternative is to flush the nozzle assembly (less nozzle) with a solvent such as carburator (sp?) cleaner & just flush a few seconds thru the 3/16 copper tube.

It's really, really easy to foul an new nozzle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: