Furnace blower motor

Old 04-09-10, 08:47 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace blower motor

I have a goodman furnace GMPN 100-4 and after the furnace ignites the blower motor will kick off and back on and keeps cycling over and over. The furnace remains lit and the power vent remains on as well. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this.

Old 04-09-10, 04:00 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You start the post saying after igniton the blower shuts OFF. You infering the blower is running before ignition, then shuts off right after igntion? Or did you type too fast, and got your order of blower running/not running reversed, and you simply ment the blower goes on and off a lot, after the furnace ignites?

Do you happen to know if you have a blower-fan timer control?, or is your blower supposed to come on from a heat sensor?

Old 04-09-10, 07:24 PM
R
The furnace calls for heat vent blower kicks on then gas valve
opens and ignites burners. Once it heats up the main blower kicks on this is what it is suppose to do.

Problem is: After the blower starts it starts to kick off and on and keeps doing it. It sounds like the relay that runs the motor is kicking off and on and is built into the circut board.
I replaced the circut board this last fall.

Old 04-09-10, 08:06 PM
E
You replaced the circuit board for the same or different reason?

How often does the blower click on and off this way? - within seconds? Can you actually isolate the clicking as a sound down to one of the relays on the board?

I'm trying to think if in the case of say a capacitor or motor failure, if a relay like that could go to clicking if the relay itself was not causing it - say if there was this on again/off-again surge of power going through the windings. I'm not sure on that one. If I were in your shoes, I might try to run that blower direct to see what happens, before buying something. And also make sure the blower spun good and had no bearing play. But as of right now, I'm thinking that it's the board again.

Last edited by ecman51; 04-09-10 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added more, and then more
Old 04-10-10, 07:07 AM
R
I replaced the circut board for another reason. I believe the relay kicks the blower motor on. The blower motor kick off and on within a few seconds. The blower motor spins easy and has no catches.

Old 04-10-10, 01:35 PM
E
Does this problem of yours occur when the stat is left alone?, and not set way back at night? The reason I ask is that if say a place got real cold (at night or when you are gone) and you DID have a heat sensing fan switch(let's say) - the blower motor can kick back off in seconds, after drawing in too cold of room air. This will occur as a repetitious cycle that will gradually get lesser and lesser occurance as the house warms back up to temp - and then the problem goes away completely (until the house get's too cold again).

But if you do have a fan timer board, maybe if you have timer adjustments, it can be upped some to see what happens, first, before condemning it.

[It will be your risk though, to replace a suspected bad part, as I am not there doing the testing, and speculating, ruling everything else out.]

Old 04-10-10, 02:57 PM
R
After going thru all the wiring i found a loose neutral in the pin connector that plugs into the circut board. I believe it was the neutral that went to the relay that goes to the blower motor. Everything seems to be working fine right now i will know later tonight.

Thanks for your help ecman51

Old 04-10-10, 06:47 PM
Ec, love your logic!

Red incase you wonder. There are 2 ways to turn on the indoor fan for a furnace. One is to use a temp switch, when the furnace gets hot the temp switch closes and the fan starts. The other is strictly time. Let the furnace run for 30 seconds or so, then start the fan.

Hope it stays working for you!

Old 04-11-10, 10:20 AM
E
Well, the part of my logic I liked the best was not to have him go out and get another board, and then come back here and scream at me. Good catch by Red. Bad connections are often overlooked as the mind concentrates on mechanical failures.

Old 04-11-10, 11:16 AM
True, that's part of what I ment. You are very good at getting info from the poster as well as steering them to help gather even more info.

Old 04-11-10, 11:58 AM
E
Ya. Always keep in mind that that ol guy Murphy is out there to fool you (or even cause you to get hurt) at every turn. When you think like that, you have the jump on him. As silly as that sounds, it is a good lesson for all to remember.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: