Oil tank shut off valve

Old 04-13-10, 02:14 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil tank shut off valve

I am trying to understand which way do I turn the valve off. The valve seems to only turn one way the other way just turns the knob off of the valve. This is probably a very simple solution but this dummy don't get it. Skip

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-10, 06:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Tank Valve

Sounds like you have a Firomatic saftey valve. Sometimes they do stick. Turn the handle in the direction in which the knob wants to come off (clockwise?). Just before the handle comes off tap the handle firmly with a wrench or screwdriver & the valve stem should go down. To free up the valve, open & close it several times. You may have to tap on the handle the first few times but after that it should work normally. If it does not the valve should be replaced. The idea behind this type of valve is it snaps closed in case of fire. The threaded part of the handle is made of a low melting point metal. Your valve probably looks like this:
Firomatic 9118-141-0 - Firomatic - B-141-TF Tank Valve w/ Bottom Outlet, 1/2" NPT (m) x 3/8" NPT (male or female)

Old 04-13-10, 10:50 PM
A
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Sounds like you have a Firomatic saftey valve. Sometimes they do stick. Turn the handle in the direction in which the knob wants to come off (clockwise?). Just before the handle comes off tap the handle firmly with a wrench or screwdriver & the valve stem should go down. To free up the valve, open & close it several times. You may have to tap on the handle the first few times but after that it should work normally. If it does not the valve should be replaced. The idea behind this type of valve is it snaps closed in case of fire. The threaded part of the handle is made of a low melting point metal. Your valve probably looks like this:
Firomatic 9118-141-0 - Firomatic - B-141-TF Tank Valve w/ Bottom Outlet, 1/2" NPT (m) x 3/8" NPT (male or female)
Thanks Grady the valve on my tank does not look like the one you showed. The valve that is on mine is at least 30 yrs old.
The handle is on the top of the valve and both ends of the valve are female, a male nipple comes from the tank and a male nipple goes to the filter. I tried doing it the way you explained and nothing happens. I guess this means I should replace it. Thanks Skip

Old 04-14-10, 06:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Picture?

How about a picture or three? It's easiest if you post them on a photo sharing site such as photobucket.com & post a link here.

Old 03-05-11, 04:15 PM
C
Thanks

My brother called me to ask about what could be wrong with his furnace.. plenty of oil just delivered after running out... Bleeding was just producing air.. traced it back and found that when removing the line from the shutoff at the tank, oil still did not come out... loosened the valve from the tank and of course there was oil.. Did a search on the topic and found this.. Worked great!! Thanks for the advice. EVen though the original posted didn't get much out of it.. It helped us a lot.